Page 1 of 1
Great Enrichment Tool!
Posted: Fri May 05, 2017 11:40 am
by Laceflower
Ok, so these grass mats that you can get from pretty much every craft store right now make awesome cage decor (just give it a good wash first; they're really sturdy and the one I found is made with identical materials to the plastic decor that we use on the regular from reptile supply stores) AND they are perfect for hiding treats in to encourage natural hunting behavior. It kept my guy busy for about 45 minutes. He also really seems to like the way it feels. I just pop some of those omnivorous lizard moist pellets (the ones without artificial colors) in between the fake blades of grass, and he goes crazy! I think he has a really good time, and it keeps him stimulated when I'm not able to take him out to play.
*PLEASE* Just be sure that whichever one you buy isn't too flimsy or made with anything that could be potentially harmful to your animal.
Re: Great Enrichment Tool!
Posted: Fri May 05, 2017 9:19 pm
by Angcious
What a great idea! Do you just put the mat in for a little while or do you keep it in all the time? I'm definitely going to be looking for these!

Re: Great Enrichment Tool!
Posted: Fri May 05, 2017 10:02 pm
by kingofnobbys
Spiffy ....
How does he like the fake grass ? Does he try to eat it ?
Re: Great Enrichment Tool!
Posted: Mon May 08, 2017 12:07 pm
by Laceflower
Angcious wrote:What a great idea! Do you just put the mat in for a little while or do you keep it in all the time? I'm definitely going to be looking for these!

I leave it in! He just loves it, and he's never offered to bite at it or try and eat it. I'd just watch for any of that behavior in your guy, and if he tries to eat it, just make it an occasional toy. Haha.
Re: Great Enrichment Tool!
Posted: Mon May 08, 2017 12:07 pm
by Laceflower
kingofnobbys wrote:Spiffy ....
How does he like the fake grass ? Does he try to eat it ?
He adores it. He's always nosing through it, but he's never tried to eat it.
Re: Great Enrichment Tool!
Posted: Mon May 08, 2017 12:55 pm
by splashy07
That is awesome. What fun he must have! Only thing I'd replace it when its starts to get brittle, I have fake plants in one of my other lizard enclosures and they eventually dry out from the heat lamp and break apart. No worries as these are small insectivores.
Re: Great Enrichment Tool!
Posted: Sun May 14, 2017 11:25 am
by feraljaw
That's a really great idea. I've tried live planting my Blue tongue enclosure. Ended up with a trampled plant in the matter of days.