Here's an outdoor cage suggestion

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
vana
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 57
Joined: Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:00 pm
Country: USA

Here's an outdoor cage suggestion

Postby vana » Fri May 05, 2017 10:19 am

I've been using a Ferret Nation cage as my skink's summer home for probably about nine years or so. I keep it on my back porch. It is a very well made product, and the price is quite reasonable for how nice it is. I have the single unit, but you can stack multiple ones on top of each other for a skink apartment building. It is great for sunning, and he seems to like it... He has not had a problem rubbing his nose (your results may vary).

You will need to have a shaded area for it, out of the rain; I have a roof over my porch.

Two possible drawbacks:

1) You will need to bring the skink in when it is too hot or cold (obviously)
2) There is the possibility of wild animals bothering the skink, like a snake, or a cat reaching through the bars. If you have a screened in porch, that would be an ideal place to put it.

This is the unit I have:Image

I see that they actually have a model (Crittern Nation) with less space between the bars now:
Image
That might be safer to keep wildlife out (and for smaller skinks) but it might encourage nose rubbing, I don't know.

Here are some for sale (this is not a suggestion on where to buy one, I don't know the best price, this is just so you can see the options):

https://www.ferret.com/cages/cages/887/

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 293 guests