I think I have been going too overboard with the calcium suppliments, I will cut back with its use, in my fear of under supplimenting I think I have caused problems the other direction, I feel awful about making such a mistake
Poop troubles
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
-
Ohgeez
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 71
- Joined: Sat Aug 20, 2016 12:40 am
- Country: Australia
Poop troubles
My skink has been straining today, he hasn't pooped in a few days, and he's looking very big. He only passed a urate just before which was very hard and chalky, because of this I'm concerned if I should wait for him to eventually pass it or take him for a checkup in case of more urates blocking him. How many days becomes too many without him passing?
I think I have been going too overboard with the calcium suppliments, I will cut back with its use, in my fear of under supplimenting I think I have caused problems the other direction, I feel awful about making such a mistake
I think I have been going too overboard with the calcium suppliments, I will cut back with its use, in my fear of under supplimenting I think I have caused problems the other direction, I feel awful about making such a mistake
-
kingofnobbys
- Bluey Devotee

- Posts: 1229
- Joined: Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:17 am
- Country: australia
- Location: NSW
Re: Poop troubles
How old is he ?
Has he been drinking plenty of water ?
Might be a bit dehydrated maybe .
I find that some olive oil orally given by eyedropper can help getting the poo moving for minor impactions.
Has he been drinking plenty of water ?
Might be a bit dehydrated maybe .
I find that some olive oil orally given by eyedropper can help getting the poo moving for minor impactions.
-
Ohgeez
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 71
- Joined: Sat Aug 20, 2016 12:40 am
- Country: Australia
Re: Poop troubles
kingofnobbys wrote:How old is he ?
Has he been drinking plenty of water ?
Might be a bit dehydrated maybe .
I find that some olive oil orally given by eyedropper can help getting the poo moving for minor impactions.
4 months, I've seen him drinking water quite a bit.
We don't have any olive oil unfortunately but I could go get some if he doesn't pass it today. Do you know if warm baths help at all?
- Susann
- ADMIN

- Posts: 4022
- Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:06 pm
- Country: USA
- Location: Utah
Re: Poop troubles
Ohgeez wrote:Do you know if warm baths help at all?
Absolutely, it's the easiest and quickest way to encourage a bowel-movement. If that doesn't do it, see if you can get him to eat some banana, and some people swear by some loosely scrambled eggs.
It is very normal for young skinks to go several days without pooping, but if he is continually straining without producing anything, you may want to have a vet take a look at him.
Breeder and keeper of Meraukes from 2010 to 2022.
-
Ohgeez
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 71
- Joined: Sat Aug 20, 2016 12:40 am
- Country: Australia
Re: Poop troubles
Susann wrote:Ohgeez wrote:Do you know if warm baths help at all?
Absolutely, it's the easiest and quickest way to encourage a bowel-movement. If that doesn't do it, see if you can get him to eat some banana, and some people swear by some loosely scrambled eggs.
It is very normal for young skinks to go several days without pooping, but if he is continually straining without producing anything, you may want to have a vet take a look at him.
I gave him a warm bath, he passed some urate while in the tub so I hope that clears out some room for the feces.
-
kingofnobbys
- Bluey Devotee

- Posts: 1229
- Joined: Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:17 am
- Country: australia
- Location: NSW
Re: Poop troubles
Ohgeez wrote:kingofnobbys wrote:How old is he ?
Has he been drinking plenty of water ?
Might be a bit dehydrated maybe .
I find that some olive oil orally given by eyedropper can help getting the poo moving for minor impactions.
4 months, I've seen him drinking water quite a bit.
We don't have any olive oil unfortunately but I could go get some if he doesn't pass it today. Do you know if warm baths help at all?
He's only a little baby then .... do you think he maybe ate some he shouldn't have ? (hope not .... that could be very bad).
Need not be olive oil specifically, any good edible vegetable oil will do the trick I think.
What has he been getting fed lately ?
-
Ohgeez
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 71
- Joined: Sat Aug 20, 2016 12:40 am
- Country: Australia
Re: Poop troubles
kingofnobbys wrote:Ohgeez wrote:kingofnobbys wrote:How old is he ?
Has he been drinking plenty of water ?
Might be a bit dehydrated maybe .
I find that some olive oil orally given by eyedropper can help getting the poo moving for minor impactions.
4 months, I've seen him drinking water quite a bit.
We don't have any olive oil unfortunately but I could go get some if he doesn't pass it today. Do you know if warm baths help at all?
He's only a little baby then .... do you think he maybe ate some he shouldn't have ? (hope not .... that could be very bad).
Need not be olive oil specifically, any good edible vegetable oil will do the trick I think.
What has he been getting fed lately ?
The last meals he has had before pooping were dogfood and a raw egg. I feed him on a plate and have never seen him ingest his substrate.
I'm not really sure if what hes doing is straining or if hes just shifting around and stretching. He's also due to shed in a few days.
-
Ohgeez
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 71
- Joined: Sat Aug 20, 2016 12:40 am
- Country: Australia
Re: Poop troubles
Well, he went... on my bed

-
kingofnobbys
- Bluey Devotee

- Posts: 1229
- Joined: Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:17 am
- Country: australia
- Location: NSW
Re: Poop troubles
Ohgeez wrote:Well, he went... on my bed![]()
Excellent ! He is telling you he owns your bed now.
I heard a new tip today ..... grated acorn squash. nuke it for 12 seconds on med heat in microwave and cool. mix it in greens and makes them poop like a champ!
-
Ohgeez
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 71
- Joined: Sat Aug 20, 2016 12:40 am
- Country: Australia
Re: Poop troubles
kingofnobbys wrote:Ohgeez wrote:Well, he went... on my bed![]()
Excellent ! He is telling you he owns your bed now.
I heard a new tip today ..... grated acorn squash. nuke it for 12 seconds on med heat in microwave and cool. mix it in greens and makes them poop like a champ!
I'll keep that in mind! He has a veggie mix i add with his meat, I'll add it in next batch.
Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 199 guests
