Page 1 of 1
Coconut Fiber Problem
Posted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:21 am
by Halogen
So I was told that coconut fiber and other coconut products would be great for my merauke. However after switching his substrate from Aspen to Eco Earth Coconut Stuff, I have found that it is very very messy.
Fiji (My Skink) has a tendency to bathe in his water dish after burrowing yet the problem with that is the coconut fiber powder gets the water dish dirty. After just one night I've cleaned his water dish twice because I dont want his drinking water to be filfthy.
Is there any solution to this because I won't be able to clean his water all the time? I heard merauke skinks need higher humidity and coconut would help with that, yet aspen might be better just so he can drink his water.
Re: Coconut Fiber Problem
Posted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:11 am
by kingofnobbys
Comes in fine, medium and course grades , the finer the dustier.
It's marketed as Kritters' Krumble here. I'd opt for the course grade, as it's less dusty.
Re: Coconut Fiber Problem
Posted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:34 pm
by alichamp
Better to stick with the coconut fibre over aspen.
We placed a ceramic tile in the enclosure under the water bowl and to place the feeding bowl on for feed days. Easier to keep the water clean and just wipe the tile clean after feed and to mop up any spilled water.
Re: Coconut Fiber Problem
Posted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:02 am
by kingofnobbys
alichamp wrote:Better to stick with the coconut fibre over aspen.
We placed a ceramic tile in the enclosure under the water bowl and to place the feeding bowl on for feed days. Easier to keep the water clean and just wipe the tile clean after feed and to mop up any spilled water.
I placed my BTS feeding and water dishes on a paver at one end of their tanks. Simply slipped a few layers of kitchen grade paper toweling ontop the paver and under the water dish to soak up spillages.
Worked very well for us.
Re: Coconut Fiber Problem
Posted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:45 am
by Maplefish
I've always used forest floor Cypress mulch. It holds moisture well enough to raise humidity without it being gross. I don't like coconut fiber for a lot of reasons. I've also heard that the dust can effect skinks respiratory systems.
Re: Coconut Fiber Problem
Posted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:20 pm
by Janella
I personally love jungle mix with Reptibark on top. Holds humidity well. It isn't messy at all. My skinks love it
Re: Coconut Fiber Problem
Posted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:06 am
by jdheff1982
I used the coconut fiber once and never again. My Northern was trying to swim in it due to the fibers being so fine. After that, I switched to coconut husk. IT's the "bark" of the coconut. My guy likes as much as I do. You might try the husk over the fibers.