Preparing for my first Bluey!

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
User avatar
Hyrulemaster77
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 36
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:29 pm
Country: USA
Location: Minnesota
Contact:

Preparing for my first Bluey!

Postby Hyrulemaster77 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:06 am

Hey guys! I am excitedly awaiting a litter/clutch (?) of Northen Blueys that should be born around summer but I find that I have some specific and general questions still. I have been doing crazy amounts of research but I can't find a whole lot about owning baby blueys or about specific care for them. I know they are hardy lizards but I want to be the best owner I can so I thought I'd see what others have to say with their experiences.

1. When the Bluey babies are born, are they usually held by the breeder for period of time? I've seen a few breeders comment that they keep the babies for a month or more to make use they're healthy and doing well, and I wasn't sure if this is standard practice. If it is, what is the 'standard' wait time?

2. What I do of food do you use to feed them when they're that little? Does it need to be extra mashed up or anything? Should I try and make their diet the same as the breeder so I make the transfer as stress-free as possible? Should I change it over time gradually?

3. I've read that babies should be fed once a day for up to a year and that it should be about a tablespoon? Is that right? Should I feed them twice a day? I've read conflicting points....what is your experience?

4. I also read that you should feed them earlier in the day. If I turn the lamp on so it's active from 12pm-12am could I feed them when I get home at 4pm? Is that enough time for their little bellies to digest? I leave my house at 7:30am so I can't feed them much earlier. If I did I'd have to turn their light on a 6am and they'd only be active for two hours after I get home...

5. When they are little can they be put into an adult size tank or should they be put in something smaller (I've read it might be stressful to them)? I was thinking of setting up a 40gallon (or bigger) and walling it off temporarily so they could gradually adjust, and slowly expand the tank size as they grow. Is that wise?

6. I've seen a lot of debate about heating. I am thinking about doing bulbs (UVB/heat) instead of heating tape, but my house gets cold in the winter. Should I look into both? I live in an attic which can get a bit chilly but my Salamanders do ok (they're native to my state) but I'm a little worried about heating a lizard and keeping the temps up. Any tips?

Any thoughts on any of these points would be great! I'm such a nervous 'mother-to-be'. I can't wait to have a little one of my own! :blah: :hehe: :thumbs:

Thanks!
User avatar
Laceflower
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 92
Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:00 pm
Your Facebook name: Cameron Briley
Country: U.S.A
Location: Jackson,TN

Re: Preparing for my first Bluey!

Postby Laceflower » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:26 am

Hiya! We're happy to have you, and we're glad you asked! Northerns rule!

1. Yes, most breeders that I would trust keep the babies for a month or two before listing them just to make aure they're well-started and healthy. This period also helps them ger to know each baby's personality and better fit it with a forever home.

2. Food for little babies should be pretty much pureed. You can feed them the same things as an adult (ground turkey/lean beef, high-quality dog food, veg, greens), just mince it in the blender first. It doesn't have to be a liquid, it should just resemble mashed potatoes.

3. Once a day for a whole year? Wow. That seems like overkill. Really young babies less than 3 months, sure, a tablespoon every day - this is their largest period of growth, so they need lots of fuel. But 3-6 months, two tablespoons every other day, and past 6 months, you can do up to three tablespoons every two days. Adults over a year may only even accept food once or twice a week.

4. That's totally fine. The general rule of thumb is that they have at least 2 hours with the light after they eat, so no worries about that.

5. Depending on the size of your baby when it arrives, I'd go ahead and start it in the adult enclosure. Mine arrived at 3 months old, and he was already a perfect size to go into his adult enclosure. If yours is under 10 inches, though, you can start him in a 20-30 gal. and then just pop him straight into his big-boy house from there. He'll do fine; these guys like a lot of room. My only concern is losing a tiny baby in a large tank, as much as they love to burrow! Haha.

6. Northerns are the supreme hardiest awesomest bubs in the world (not biased or anything). That being said, if your room does tend to get chilly, you could try adding a ceramic heat emitter to your lighting plan, or (what I do) an undertank heat pad. Just make sure you buy a thermostat to use with the pad; they do get very hot, and with blueys' burrowing to the bottom of the tank, it could get just a little too warm.

Good luck! So glad you're here and want to do the best you can!
Aiming for a Master's in Herpetology.
1.0 Northern BTS - Riff-Raff
3.0 Leopard Geckos - Snowblind, Supernaut, Frankie
1.0 Bearded Dragon - Mushu
User avatar
Hyrulemaster77
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 36
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:29 pm
Country: USA
Location: Minnesota
Contact:

Re: Preparing for my first Bluey!

Postby Hyrulemaster77 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:01 pm

Thank you so much! That was just the kind of info I was looking for. :D I will look into a heat pad. Is one in the bottom of the tank sufficient or should it be on the side? Does it matter? Also, would I stick a thermometer next to (or on) the heating pad? I would guess I'd want it on the glass nearby but I've never used one before...

Thanks again for all the info! I can't wait to have a baby Northern! -^^-
User avatar
tcopitho
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower
Posts: 290
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2014 3:53 pm
Country: Canada
Location: BritishColumbia

Re: Preparing for my first Bluey!

Postby tcopitho » Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:30 pm

Hyrulemaster77 wrote:Thank you so much! That was just the kind of info I was looking for. :D I will look into a heat pad. Is one in the bottom of the tank sufficient or should it be on the side? Does it matter? Also, would I stick a thermometer next to (or on) the heating pad? I would guess I'd want it on the glass nearby but I've never used one before...

Thanks again for all the info! I can't wait to have a baby Northern! -^^-



Bottom of the tank is sufficient as long as you are getting the proper temps needed. The thermostat probe should be sandwiched between the heat source and the tank.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 228 guests