Page 1 of 1

Concerns regarding my baby skinks health and safety.

Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:50 am
by Redx
So I bought a baby blue tongue and I have been like a new mother, constantly worried the world is gonna take my new prescious away from me.
So I was reluctant about asking this.
But I need to know what it up so.
My baby has one side of his mouth beginning to look weird, it is starting to darken

I have wracked my brain as to what has been causing it, and fearing it mouth rot.
I believe I may have discovered the source of the problem though.
20170409_074310.jpg

These plastic bits jut out downwards all along the front of the tank, I suspect he may be chewing on them.
These are built into the tank, what purpose they are meant to serve is beyond me.
But they are there, and the guy who sold me the skink also sold me the tank with the promise that would be appropriate for my skink.
Do I go back and demand my money back? Or does it look to you guys like something else might be going on with my poor babies face.
I'd appreciate the input, thanks.
20170409_073802.jpg

Re: Concerns regarding my baby skinks health and safety.

Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:39 am
by tcopitho
Can you reattach the first picture, it's not showing up.

As for the tank, what type is it. I've never heard of the chewing their tanks before. How often do you feed your baby, how old is it, how many hides does it have, and what are your temperatures in the tank.

Re: Concerns regarding my baby skinks health and safety.

Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:28 pm
by Redx
He has one hiding spot but I plan to add more really soon.
The tank is a exo terra natural advanced glass reptile habitat.
In the hot end it is 80-90 and in the cold end it is 65-75.
I offer him food every day, and he has never denied it, so I don't think it should be hunger.
Does this help at all?

Re: Concerns regarding my baby skinks health and safety.

Posted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:58 am
by tcopitho
I don't have alot of experience with mouth rot, hopefully someone else will chime in. There are a couple things I would suggest as I have dealt with mouth issues caused by low humidity that are often fairly similar looking to mouth rot. You're seeing it early enough a vet visit could be very beneficial to keep it from escalating.

I'd suggest boosting the hot end up between 95-100, and definitely add in some more hides, a glass tank will not allow him to feel secure unless there are places for him to hide. Everything else sounds good. I can't imagine he'd be chewing the plastic unless you have seen him do it.

In addition to anothern hide, and more to do with the issue, I would suggest a humidity hide. Often times issues with the mouth are caused by the ambient humidity in the tank being to low. See the link below.

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=29327

Other ways you can help increase the humidity would be to reduce the air flow by covering as much of the top mesh with plexiglass or plastic, just make sure it doesn't get to close to your heat source. Make sure you are using a humidity retaining substrait like coco husk or cypress mulch. And lastly a large shallow basin of water under your heat source.

God luck, please keep us updated.