Page 1 of 1

How much substrate??

Posted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:49 pm
by Darylmatthewlee
Hi guys! I'm using a 65 gallon tank (48"x18"x18"). I'm planning to use Zoomed's reptibark substrate for my blue tongued skink. This substrate isn't readily available where I'm from so i have to ship it from overseas.

My question is, how much substrate should i order? Is a 24quart bag sufficient?

Re: How much substrate??

Posted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:02 pm
by DerpyHerpLover
Depending on how thick you want the substrate to be, one 24 qt bag may not be enough.
Your tank dimensions 48x18 times the depth you want gives you the cubic inches you need.
Divide this by 57.75 [thank you Google] will tell you how many quarts you need.

For example, 48x18x say 2 inches gives 1728. 1728 / 57.75 is about 29 quarts volume.
Doing the reverse math, that 24 quart bag should give you a uniform 1.6 inch depth.

You can distribute this how you want in the tank for burrowing and some of the area may be taken up by water bowls or other fixtures.

You may want to order 2 bags just to have extra for burrowing and spot cleaning replacement. :thumbs:

Hope this helps!

Best regards

Re: How much substrate??

Posted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:04 pm
by Janella
First what type of skink do you have? Most skinks need something that will hold humidity. I use Jungle Mix with Reptibark on top. I have so far never had issues with shedding. For my skinks enclosure of the same size I use 24ct bags of each. Hope that helps.