Hello,
I am thinking on purchasing BTS or Ackie Monitor. I know the personality of the second one. Unfortunately in YT Videos and on other websites I couldn't find enything on BTS personality. Usually it is just laying down and doing nothing. Could you tell me something on their personality? Is it like bearded dragon or mor lik a snake?
BTS personality
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
-
CarlGG
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 6
- Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:54 am
- Country: Poland
- jdheff1982
- Bluey Follower

- Posts: 439
- Joined: Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:01 am
- Your Facebook name: John D. Heffington
- Country: USA
- Location: Derby,KS
Re: BTS personality
CarlGG wrote:Hello,
I am thinking on purchasing BTS or Ackie Monitor. I know the personality of the second one. Unfortunately in YT Videos and on other websites I couldn't find enything on BTS personality. Usually it is just laying down and doing nothing. Could you tell me something on their personality? Is it like bearded dragon or mor lik a snake?
For starters, which species of BTS are you considering? As far as I can tell, all the different species have different personalities. Even more so, the individual skink has their own personality. Some are more active than others, some have a 'tude and others don't. My Northern is about as tame as basset hound and almost as lazy. He doesn't mind being handled or petted. He mostly lies about basking or taking a dip in his water dish.
I think what you are actually asking is their activity level. In general, BTS's are low energy reptiles. They are the most active during breeding season, but in most cases are content basking or sleeping in their hide. They are less active than a beardy, but maybe on par or more than a snake (depending on type and species). BTS's are favored for their general ease of care compared to other reptiles. IMO< BTS's are by far easier to raise than beardies hands down.
I hope this helps some.
Northern BTS Rosco born 6/27/2013 acquired 10/1/2013 -> My Gallery:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B7iQnlFQvJfMTDFxLVUwaEN5Z0E?usp=sharing
---------------------------------
Care Sheet: http://www.bluetongueskinks.net/
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B7iQnlFQvJfMTDFxLVUwaEN5Z0E?usp=sharing
---------------------------------
Care Sheet: http://www.bluetongueskinks.net/
-
CarlGG
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 6
- Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:54 am
- Country: Poland
Re: BTS personality
Thx
I don't know which type of BTS I will get. I live in Poland near the border of Germany. There are almost no BTS for sale and very few in Germany. So I'm more concerned about availability than about the type.
I don't know which type of BTS I will get. I live in Poland near the border of Germany. There are almost no BTS for sale and very few in Germany. So I'm more concerned about availability than about the type.
- jdheff1982
- Bluey Follower

- Posts: 439
- Joined: Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:01 am
- Your Facebook name: John D. Heffington
- Country: USA
- Location: Derby,KS
Re: BTS personality
CarlGG wrote:Thx
I don't know which type of BTS I will get. I live in Poland near the border of Germany. There are almost no BTS for sale and very few in Germany. So I'm more concerned about availability than about the type.
It's good to know which type you want. You also need to be prepared as to whether the BTS you get is wild caught or actually captive bred. The wild ones can have more of an attitude than CB. This way you and the habitat are prepared and there won't be any surprises. For example, the Meraukes have a different humidity requirement than Northerns because they reside in different climates.
Good luck to whatever you can get.
Northern BTS Rosco born 6/27/2013 acquired 10/1/2013 -> My Gallery:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B7iQnlFQvJfMTDFxLVUwaEN5Z0E?usp=sharing
---------------------------------
Care Sheet: http://www.bluetongueskinks.net/
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B7iQnlFQvJfMTDFxLVUwaEN5Z0E?usp=sharing
---------------------------------
Care Sheet: http://www.bluetongueskinks.net/
-
CarlGG
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 6
- Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:54 am
- Country: Poland
Re: BTS personality
I know but it is not possible for me to know with one I will get mont ahead, maybe week before. I will not get wild cought under any circumstances and I will figure out the rest week before I actually buy it.
- splashy07
- ADMIN

- Posts: 3191
- Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:24 am
- Country: USA
- Location: Farmingdale,LI,NY
Re: BTS personality
Well, I've got seven, Northerns and Easterns, and each one has his/her own personality. I've found my male Northern to have the best personality and is the friendliest. My own personal observation though, they're all different and have good moods and bad ones just like we do. Good luck in your search!
-
kingofnobbys
- Bluey Devotee

- Posts: 1229
- Joined: Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:17 am
- Country: australia
- Location: NSW
Re: BTS personality
I have had pet BTS , pet eastern water skinks and pet central bearded dragons, every one of the has had it's own unique personality, but all mine have become very affectionate and friendly and tame.
My skinks all loved snuggles and were all gentle and calm (great for handling) and really inquisitive about new things and all were quite intelligent (my water skinks would come when called if they were on a spot on my back that was hard to reach, and even put themselves back to bed when they were ready to go to bed) and my bluetongues would follow us about in the house and always wanted to see what we were doing.
I've never had an ackie so can't make a comparison based on personal experience.
My beardies are also great too, and share many of the above and seem to have more exaggerated communication behaviours.
My skinks all loved snuggles and were all gentle and calm (great for handling) and really inquisitive about new things and all were quite intelligent (my water skinks would come when called if they were on a spot on my back that was hard to reach, and even put themselves back to bed when they were ready to go to bed) and my bluetongues would follow us about in the house and always wanted to see what we were doing.
I've never had an ackie so can't make a comparison based on personal experience.
My beardies are also great too, and share many of the above and seem to have more exaggerated communication behaviours.
-
kingofnobbys
- Bluey Devotee

- Posts: 1229
- Joined: Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:17 am
- Country: australia
- Location: NSW
Re: BTS personality
CarlGG wrote:Hello,
I am thinking on purchasing BTS or Ackie Monitor. I know the personality of the second one. Unfortunately in YT Videos and on other websites I couldn't find enything on BTS personality. Usually it is just laying down and doing nothing. Could you tell me something on their personality? Is it like bearded dragon or mor lik a snake?
Similar to my beardies, only not as good at jumping and climbing as a beardie. Yes a BTS gets pretty animated when he's exploring / free ranging.
They really love free ranging inside the house , and lit a beardie will investigate everything (and everyone) , and love snuggling into their pet human for naps , my BTS loved climbing up my chest to snuggle near my neck , behind my neck , or along my arm in the crook of my elbow. They also liked sitting on the lounge next to me and were very calm and gentle.
Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 189 guests
