Page 1 of 1

Eating cork hide?

Posted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:29 am
by GibbsTheSkink
My husband got Gibbs, a northern, a new hide like 2 weeks ago. It's a 6" or so hollow cork log. A few days after we put it in the tank I noticed Gibbs in there looking like he was eating it, and I stopped him. Yesterday I noticed him having issues pooping and it was not at all like his normal poop. He's not really been eating as much as normal in the last week either. Again today he had issues pooping and passed a rather sizable chunk, and I removed the hide entirely after I caught him trying to munch on it again. :(

Why on earth would he eat the cork? And I'm hoping that aside from the discomfort passing the chunks, it's not dangerous (like doing harm to his intestines or anything), right?

Re: Eating cork hide?

Posted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:53 pm
by Scotts1au
Their little minds work in strange ways sometimes. :doh: I doubt there is a problem, adult blueys can normally pass some big stuff eg. pips from plums etc. Yeh need to remove the hide.

Re: Eating cork hide?

Posted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:01 am
by splashy07
Sometimes they will get some food on their 'furniture', and the scent will be there. I've had them try and eat the food dish. They obviously have a very strong sense of smell.