Why on earth would he eat the cork? And I'm hoping that aside from the discomfort passing the chunks, it's not dangerous (like doing harm to his intestines or anything), right?
Eating cork hide?
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
- GibbsTheSkink
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 9
- Joined: Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:47 pm
- Country:
Eating cork hide?
My husband got Gibbs, a northern, a new hide like 2 weeks ago. It's a 6" or so hollow cork log. A few days after we put it in the tank I noticed Gibbs in there looking like he was eating it, and I stopped him. Yesterday I noticed him having issues pooping and it was not at all like his normal poop. He's not really been eating as much as normal in the last week either. Again today he had issues pooping and passed a rather sizable chunk, and I removed the hide entirely after I caught him trying to munch on it again.
Why on earth would he eat the cork? And I'm hoping that aside from the discomfort passing the chunks, it's not dangerous (like doing harm to his intestines or anything), right?
Why on earth would he eat the cork? And I'm hoping that aside from the discomfort passing the chunks, it's not dangerous (like doing harm to his intestines or anything), right?
- Scotts1au
- Great Scott

- Posts: 4362
- Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:19 am
- Country:
- Location: Central Victoria, Australia
Re: Eating cork hide?
Their little minds work in strange ways sometimes.
I doubt there is a problem, adult blueys can normally pass some big stuff eg. pips from plums etc. Yeh need to remove the hide.
I doubt there is a problem, adult blueys can normally pass some big stuff eg. pips from plums etc. Yeh need to remove the hide.If you wait, all that happens is that you get older. M. Andretti
- splashy07
- ADMIN

- Posts: 3191
- Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:24 am
- Country: USA
- Location: Farmingdale,LI,NY
Re: Eating cork hide?
Sometimes they will get some food on their 'furniture', and the scent will be there. I've had them try and eat the food dish. They obviously have a very strong sense of smell.
Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 329 guests
