Page 1 of 1

Some observations on caging

Posted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:50 am
by splashy07
Hi everyone, I know some of you have those beautiful showcase cages, and I was on the site a hundred times and finally hit send and bought one. I just had to see if it was worth the ridiculous price. 700 to the door is a bit much, but I must say it looks like a piece of furniture and for those wanting to keep their pets in the living room no doubt this is the answer. Now here's a few things I thought worth mentioning. Under the tracks the glass rests on there are quite a few screws fastening the track. For this price, I would have thought they'd countersink them into the material rather than leaving the raw metal screw heads exposed. If you have one of these cages feel under there. I don't know about yours, but there are times when my skinks like to squeeze themselves into the tightest places. I could see a possible injury there. Also, when my males are in season they constantly scratch at the corners, and if you look at the picture you can see there is a possibility of a particularly smart and strong one to get out. I know mine could get his little foot in there and move the glass. For comparison look at the API cage (a fraction of the price). So I'd suggest you purchase the cage lock, no need for their $15 one although it looks nice, you can buy a lock for 6 bucks on eBay. Just thought a few points worth mentioning, and it bothers me to have to modify a $500+ cage. I was going to put one of my prized Easterns in there, but I think it's going to my boas. In the end it it still a gorgeous cage with many good features, but API has my vote for economy and function. In the second picture note the rubber stopper I put to protect the glass. Have a great day, all!