Stinky Skink!?
Posted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:29 pm
Hi everyone,
I have a question. Basically, I received my Merauke Blue Tongue Skink a few months ago as a captive-born. His mother being an import from Indonesia. I have not tested him for parasites quite yet as the only exotics vet from me is a very lengthy drive. I was not sure if it was necessary for an animal that was born in captivity and not removed from the wild to have a fecal test but I do understand that parasites can be transmitted from birth on some occasions; as well as the chances of him contracting parasites from, say, feeder insects (such as pinworms from crickets) or other sources.
He is very, very active. Basks regularly. Eats well (right now he is on a staple of Repashy's Bluey Buffet, some grain-free dog food, vegetables, live insects and little bits of Pangea.) & is generally a happy skink. The only thing concerning me, however, (and I do apologize for the TMI) is that his feces is very... smelly? I have other reptiles and their poop doesn't smell at all, really. My skink's feces tends to stink badly once he drops it, then the smell sorta fades away after a couple seconds. But it's really a gross smell! I wasn't sure if this is common with Blueys? Is it normal, or is this an indicator of a parasite? Or something else? The consistency isn't 100% solid. It's a little bit runny but still solid, if that makes sense. Urates are fine, though. Color isn't weird.
I also sorta went through it a bit, and didn't see anything of concern, either. I know that most parasites aren't easily seen by the naked eye, though.
So, basically, are Bluey poops just really stinky? Or should I be concerned?
Unfortunately I couldn't find any information online with the same issue I'm having. I hope this isn't too gross, haha.
I have a question. Basically, I received my Merauke Blue Tongue Skink a few months ago as a captive-born. His mother being an import from Indonesia. I have not tested him for parasites quite yet as the only exotics vet from me is a very lengthy drive. I was not sure if it was necessary for an animal that was born in captivity and not removed from the wild to have a fecal test but I do understand that parasites can be transmitted from birth on some occasions; as well as the chances of him contracting parasites from, say, feeder insects (such as pinworms from crickets) or other sources.
He is very, very active. Basks regularly. Eats well (right now he is on a staple of Repashy's Bluey Buffet, some grain-free dog food, vegetables, live insects and little bits of Pangea.) & is generally a happy skink. The only thing concerning me, however, (and I do apologize for the TMI) is that his feces is very... smelly? I have other reptiles and their poop doesn't smell at all, really. My skink's feces tends to stink badly once he drops it, then the smell sorta fades away after a couple seconds. But it's really a gross smell! I wasn't sure if this is common with Blueys? Is it normal, or is this an indicator of a parasite? Or something else? The consistency isn't 100% solid. It's a little bit runny but still solid, if that makes sense. Urates are fine, though. Color isn't weird.
I also sorta went through it a bit, and didn't see anything of concern, either. I know that most parasites aren't easily seen by the naked eye, though.
So, basically, are Bluey poops just really stinky? Or should I be concerned?
Unfortunately I couldn't find any information online with the same issue I'm having. I hope this isn't too gross, haha.