Page 1 of 1
New Blue Tongue Skink need help identify
Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:53 pm
by TraciWestling
Hi I am a new owner of a baby blue tongue and I don't know what species he is. I was told by the person I got him from it was either a Irian Jaya or a Merauke but I can't tell the difference. Any advice would be greatly appreciated
Re: New Blue Tongue Skink need help identify
Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:37 pm
by Ohgeez
Hey mate welcome, might want to post some pics, you'll be more likely to get an answer then

Re: New Blue Tongue Skink need help identify
Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:39 pm
by TraciWestling
Oh no my pictures didn't go through I'll try again sorry I'm having a hard time sizing my pictures to fit
Re: New Blue Tongue Skink need help identify
Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:51 pm
by TraciWestling
OK I'm gonna try again to post pictures of baby blue tongue skink
Re: New Blue Tongue Skink need help identify
Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:51 pm
by Janella
Hi and welcome to the group. Looks like a Merauke to me. If so they require a higher humidity. Do you have it in Aspen? If so I would switch to a substrate that can hold humidity better. I use Jungle mix and then put Reptibark on top for mine. He loves it. This is a great group and you will be able to get all your questions answered here. What did you name you little one?
Re: New Blue Tongue Skink need help identify
Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:27 pm
by TraciWestling
Thank you for the welcome, this site is awesome. They said he was CB. I'm not familiar with this sub species . Do they make good pets. Tame easy?? I was bad an ordered him of the Internet, but I did do research on basic care mainly for a northern before I got him.
He is on a Cyprus mulch but I'm thinking about adding some Moss to keep my humidity stable. I named him Norbert . He is named after the little dragon from Harry Potter that Hagrid had .
I'm excited to own a Blue Tongue I have had him for 2 days now and he is out and about in his tank, he likes the rock I put in his tank to bask on,. He has shown interest in his food even taken a couple bites. I've seen him drink water and he has gone potty.
I have only held him twice don't want to push it but he likes to be wrapped in a wash rag. He is a little spunky when I first touch him and he hiss at me but once I pick him up he calms down very quickly. I'm ready to learn all I can about these wonderful lizards
Re: New Blue Tongue Skink need help identify
Posted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:56 pm
by Edward
Re: New Blue Tongue Skink need help identify
Posted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 7:10 pm
by Janella
Hi again and sorry it took me so long to respond. Merauke's are awesome BTS. I absolutely adore my Noodles. He is just the sweetest and gentlest lizard. Suzanne, and many others from here will be able to provide you with awesome advice on how to properly care for them. Did you read through the care sheets on the forum? There is also tons of advice on how to make and provide humid hides to help as well. Norbert is sure a cutie. Just remember to go slow with him at first. It is usually recommend to give him at least a few days to a week to adjust before you try to handle. He has to get used to his new surroundings. Good luck with your new baby and welcome to the forum!