Fat or pregnant?
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
-
jmhg11
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 28
- Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2016 1:51 pm
- Country:
- Location: British Columbia Canada
Fat or pregnant?
My skink is rapidly gaining weight even though I'm not feeding him/her. They're spending all their time basking and are gaining weight. He(r) has gained about 100 grams since I got them. It's a ij most likely wc (I heard ij's sometimes come in pregnant?). Any ideas ( what's the best way to find out the sex for sure.) can you tell I don't really know what I'm doing 
- tcopitho
- Bluey Follower

- Posts: 290
- Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2014 3:53 pm
- Country: Canada
- Location: BritishColumbia
Re: Fat or pregnant?
It'd be nice to get an updated picture.
As I recall, it seems to me that your bluey is much to small to be pregnant. That said, my experience is limited, and perhaps there are accounts of juvenile animals becoming pregnant?
I would lean towards him just gaining some weight. Start checking his weight regularly, one to two times a week or just before you put him away after a handling session. It will give you a really good and interesting picture of what is normal weight gain and what isn't.
As far as telling the sex, I'm afraid you're out of luck there until he drops sperm plugs, then you can confirm him male. If he doesn't drop plugs its still not proof that he is female. To prove female you basically need to see babies or slugs pop out, hahaha. Often the males will pace their enclosures trying to get out and find females after the cool season, so you may get indication from that, but for your guy, you likely wont see that behavior until he is sexually mature.
The other possibility is, if you get some good top down pictures that should the entire length of the animal clearly and in good light, you may be able to have some of the pros give you an educated guess, it wont be 100% but they haven't let me down yet.
As I recall, it seems to me that your bluey is much to small to be pregnant. That said, my experience is limited, and perhaps there are accounts of juvenile animals becoming pregnant?
I would lean towards him just gaining some weight. Start checking his weight regularly, one to two times a week or just before you put him away after a handling session. It will give you a really good and interesting picture of what is normal weight gain and what isn't.
As far as telling the sex, I'm afraid you're out of luck there until he drops sperm plugs, then you can confirm him male. If he doesn't drop plugs its still not proof that he is female. To prove female you basically need to see babies or slugs pop out, hahaha. Often the males will pace their enclosures trying to get out and find females after the cool season, so you may get indication from that, but for your guy, you likely wont see that behavior until he is sexually mature.
The other possibility is, if you get some good top down pictures that should the entire length of the animal clearly and in good light, you may be able to have some of the pros give you an educated guess, it wont be 100% but they haven't let me down yet.
-
jmhg11
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 28
- Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2016 1:51 pm
- Country:
- Location: British Columbia Canada
Re: Fat or pregnant?
tcopitho wrote:It'd be nice to get an updated picture.
As I recall, it seems to me that your bluey is much to small to be pregnant. That said, my experience is limited, and perhaps there are accounts of juvenile animals becoming pregnant?
I would lean towards him just gaining some weight. Start checking his weight regularly, one to two times a week or just before you put him away after a handling session. It will give you a really good and interesting picture of what is normal weight gain and what isn't.
As far as telling the sex, I'm afraid you're out of luck there until he drops sperm plugs, then you can confirm him male. If he doesn't drop plugs its still not proof that he is female. To prove female you basically need to see babies or slugs pop out, hahaha. Often the males will pace their enclosures trying to get out and find females after the cool season, so you may get indication from that, but for your guy, you likely wont see that behavior until he is sexually mature.
The other possibility is, if you get some good top down pictures that should the entire length of the animal clearly and in good light, you may be able to have some of the pros give you an educated guess, it wont be 100% but they haven't let me down yet.
I'll have pictures in a bit. I had a friend who keeps skinks over and he said my skink looked pregnant so I wanted to get a second opinion. "He's" gone from 541 grams to 631 grams in less than a month. I've only been feeding 2-3x a week
- tcopitho
- Bluey Follower

- Posts: 290
- Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2014 3:53 pm
- Country: Canada
- Location: BritishColumbia
Re: Fat or pregnant?
You cant rule anything out I suppose. Probably you'll just have to monitor the situation for some more time.
-
jmhg11
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 28
- Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2016 1:51 pm
- Country:
- Location: British Columbia Canada
Re: Fat or pregnant?
tcopitho wrote:You cant rule anything out I suppose. Probably you'll just have to monitor the situation for some more time.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
- StaceyLeigh
- Northern Love

- Posts: 1576
- Joined: Thu May 19, 2011 4:24 pm
- Country: USA
- Location: CNY
- Contact:
Re: Fat or pregnant?
Feeding 2-3 times a week will definitely put some weight on them. I would suspect it is just weight gain.
Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 217 guests
