Worried About New Blue Tongue Skink
Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 11:58 am
Hey I recently bought a baby Irian Jaya BTS. This would be my first Skink so I am new to the species. I am concerned about his breathing, I did my research; I know their breathing patterns may seem abnormal. However, since I got the little guy I've noticed heavy breathing, specially in front of his legal and behind his jaw. This being my first BTS I am unaware of what regular breathing is. Is this breathing normal? I know they might do this when they feel scared or intimidated, but this is the only type of breathing I have seen him do.
I am keeping him in a 10 gallon with ReptiEarth. I know there are some issues with this type of substrate but the store I got him from (East Bay Vivarium in Berkley, CA) suggested I keep him in this because a change in substrate might cause him to not eat. His basking spot is at 87F (ish) and his cool side is at 75. At night the temperature does drop to around 60F, I have his lamp on a timer and it stays on for 12 hrs a day.
He is eating well. I feed him once a day. His diet consists of Meal Worms or Crickets, Collard Greens, Carrots, and blue berries. He eats just fine. I change his water dish every day, he occasionally drinks water. I have not seen him soak in it or anything.
My main concern is his breathing, I hope it is nothing serious and I'm just being paranoid (Like every reptile owner is after getting a new pet
).
PS if anyone can help me figure out how old he is I'd appreciate it
I asked the lady who helped me at the store she said a month and a half but she sounded a little iffy about it
I am keeping him in a 10 gallon with ReptiEarth. I know there are some issues with this type of substrate but the store I got him from (East Bay Vivarium in Berkley, CA) suggested I keep him in this because a change in substrate might cause him to not eat. His basking spot is at 87F (ish) and his cool side is at 75. At night the temperature does drop to around 60F, I have his lamp on a timer and it stays on for 12 hrs a day.
He is eating well. I feed him once a day. His diet consists of Meal Worms or Crickets, Collard Greens, Carrots, and blue berries. He eats just fine. I change his water dish every day, he occasionally drinks water. I have not seen him soak in it or anything.
My main concern is his breathing, I hope it is nothing serious and I'm just being paranoid (Like every reptile owner is after getting a new pet
PS if anyone can help me figure out how old he is I'd appreciate it
