Hello from a grumpy lil skink

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
Ohgeez
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 71
Joined: Sat Aug 20, 2016 12:40 am
Country: Australia

Hello from a grumpy lil skink

Postby Ohgeez » Fri Oct 28, 2016 2:11 am

Hello, I've posted a few threads before (I hope that's not a bother, feel free to delete them if need be), but now I have my first BTS!

He is a year old blotchie I have adopted, the previous owner never named him so he has been christened Doug by me. Unfortunately he was also left alone for the most part and is very skittish and angry around people. I'm hoping once he calms down from moving to a different enclosure he will start to wonder out of hiding so I can hopefully gain his trust.

I quick question too, since he was being fed from pellets, is it fine to switch his diet completely over once hes hungry, or should I still include them and gradually fade them out?

To end off, here's a quick pic I managed to snap before he scuttled away. I hope he and I become very close some day :D :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User avatar
alichamp
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 749
Joined: Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:50 pm
Country: Australia
Location: NSW

Re: Hello from a grumpy lil skink

Postby alichamp » Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:39 pm

YAY! Congrats!

No problem to switch over to the good solid diet you want to feed him. Just make sure temps are right and it shouldn't be a problem. He may or may not be a little hesitant at first and need a few feeds to get into it, or he may instead love the change to good food you provide straight away. I've given some tips before about feeding so not to encourage fussy eating.
alichamp wrote:I suggest that you mix up some wet dog food with a little veggies mixed in (whizz up the veggies in the food processor), offer about a tablespoon or so, put it in the food bowl around mid-morning and leave it in there for the day and walk away. Remove the bowl and any uneaten food later in the afternoon. Offer the same again in a day or two (do you know how hold your skink is?) the same way. At this point, it is best not to try and offer a whole bunch of different foods until he is eating properly what he is supposed to.

Same thing applies but you may need 2 tablespoons and add just a couple of extra delicious morsels like fruit pieces. If yours is an adult, offer food about every 5-7 days or so. You can find more details in the FAQs.

And we love to see you posting so keep it up!! :D
User avatar
alichamp
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 749
Joined: Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:50 pm
Country: Australia
Location: NSW

Re: Hello from a grumpy lil skink

Postby alichamp » Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:41 pm

Oh and I think you've got the right idea about giving him time to get used to you. Give him a couple of weeks to settle in and then short periods of handling and delicious fruit treats might get him to come around to you. Keep us updated!
Ohgeez
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 71
Joined: Sat Aug 20, 2016 12:40 am
Country: Australia

Re: Hello from a grumpy lil skink

Postby Ohgeez » Sat Oct 29, 2016 12:09 am

Hi Alichamp!
His temps are good, I've been thermo gunning the terrariums areas religiously :lol:

I'll be happy to report here when he begins emerging. It's only been a week, but boy does it crawl by!! Next few days I'll attempt leaving some food in there again, yesterday he didnt touch it, but I wasn't too surprised.
User avatar
alichamp
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 749
Joined: Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:50 pm
Country: Australia
Location: NSW

Re: Hello from a grumpy lil skink

Postby alichamp » Mon Oct 31, 2016 6:41 pm

Welcome to the blotchy club. :D :thumbs:
Ohgeez
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 71
Joined: Sat Aug 20, 2016 12:40 am
Country: Australia

Re: Hello from a grumpy lil skink

Postby Ohgeez » Wed Nov 02, 2016 7:55 pm

A week and a half and the most I have seen of him is a snout peering from his hide a few times. I know that amount of time is hardly anything but I'd be lying if I didn't say the wait is excruciating. I can't help but be very worried about him :?
Apparently he also had become somewhat nocturnal from his previous owners night cycle, this skink needs to stop sleeping through suck beautiful sunny says!!

C'mon lil guy, nothing but love and spoiling awaits you! :P
Ohgeez
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 71
Joined: Sat Aug 20, 2016 12:40 am
Country: Australia

Re: Hello from a grumpy lil skink

Postby Ohgeez » Mon Nov 14, 2016 2:48 am

In these few weeks he has only eaten once, and I have seen no poop from him, which concidering how inactive he's been I guess I shouldnt be surprised by? He is definitely not happy with me being in the room at all, and since its my bedroom I'm in it a lot.

If he continues to be hiding after a few more weeks should I start to interfere? Or am I just being a little too impatient :?
Ohgeez
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 71
Joined: Sat Aug 20, 2016 12:40 am
Country: Australia

Re: Hello from a grumpy lil skink

Postby Ohgeez » Wed Nov 16, 2016 1:01 am

Thanks, I like hearing what everyone's methods are :D Doug will do the same, once I pick him up hes no longer huffy as long as I dont move too quick and dont touch his face. Next till it is feeding day I will try taking him out and giving him food, I really hope I dont have to dig him out everytime though 8 (
Ohgeez
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 71
Joined: Sat Aug 20, 2016 12:40 am
Country: Australia

Re: Hello from a grumpy lil skink

Postby Ohgeez » Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:22 pm

Ashleigh86 wrote:When I dig Rinzler out sometimes, I'm just very slow about it and I let him see its me as I talk to him and I don't pick him up if his breathing seems stressed. i just wait for him to calm down first and then slowly get him out.

Oh I'll keep this in mind, thank you!!
User avatar
alichamp
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 749
Joined: Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:50 pm
Country: Australia
Location: NSW

Re: Hello from a grumpy lil skink

Postby alichamp » Thu Nov 24, 2016 5:03 pm

Ohgeez wrote:
Ashleigh86 wrote:When I dig Rinzler out sometimes, I'm just very slow about it and I let him see its me as I talk to him and I don't pick him up if his breathing seems stressed. i just wait for him to calm down first and then slowly get him out.

Oh I'll keep this in mind, thank you!!

I don't think it's a good idea to dig out skinks for handling unless there is some necessary medical reason. It just makes them feel insecure. Go by their schedule not yours to minimize stress for them.
User avatar
alichamp
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 749
Joined: Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:50 pm
Country: Australia
Location: NSW

Re: Hello from a grumpy lil skink

Postby alichamp » Thu Nov 24, 2016 5:09 pm

Ohgeez wrote:A week and a half and the most I have seen of him is a snout peering from his hide a few times. I know that amount of time is hardly anything but I'd be lying if I didn't say the wait is excruciating. I can't help but be very worried about him :?
Apparently he also had become somewhat nocturnal from his previous owners night cycle, this skink needs to stop sleeping through suck beautiful sunny says!!

C'mon lil guy, nothing but love and spoiling awaits you! :P

Haha I know what you mean! I had the same excruciating wait when Treasure came home!

Ohgeez wrote:In these few weeks he has only eaten once, and I have seen no poop from him, which concidering how inactive he's been I guess I shouldnt be surprised by? He is definitely not happy with me being in the room at all, and since its my bedroom I'm in it a lot.

If he continues to be hiding after a few more weeks should I start to interfere? Or am I just being a little too impatient :?

Are you sure he hasn't been eating? Even a little? Put the food bowl in in the morning and leave him alone - come and collect it at the end of the day. If he even has a couple of mouthfuls that is enough. As long as he is having a go at the food. Poop is usually hidden among the substrate so I wouldn't worry about that - if you are really worried you could remove the substrate and keep in on paper towel for now - but honestly I think it's probably just a matter of time.

Yes, too inpatient. :wink: He will eventually come out and be curious over time. How long is he?
Ohgeez
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 71
Joined: Sat Aug 20, 2016 12:40 am
Country: Australia

Re: Hello from a grumpy lil skink

Postby Ohgeez » Thu Nov 24, 2016 11:45 pm

alichamp wrote:
Ohgeez wrote:A week and a half and the most I have seen of him is a snout peering from his hide a few times. I know that amount of time is hardly anything but I'd be lying if I didn't say the wait is
Ohgeez wrote:In these few weeks he has only eaten once, and I have seen no poop from him, which concidering how inactive he's been I guess I shouldnt be surprised by? He is definitely not happy with me being in the room at all, and since its my bedroom I'm in it a lot.

If he continues to be hiding after a few more weeks should I start to interfere? Or am I just being a little too impatient :?

Are you sure he hasn't been eating? Even a little? Put the food bowl in in the morning and leave him alone - come and collect it at the end of the day. If he even has a couple of mouthfuls that is enough. As long as he is having a go at the food. Poop is usually hidden among the substrate so I wouldn't worry about that - if you are really worried you could remove the substrate and keep in on paper towel for now - but honestly I think it's probably just a matter of time.

Yes, too inpatient. :wink: He will eventually come out and be curious over time. How long is he?


Like length? He's around 20cm I'd say... I think i might then swap over to paper towel then for some peace of mind. Over the month he's probably eaten twice. I can usually tell if it hasn't been touched at all or not.
Once I swap over to paper towel I'll completely leave him alone once again. I hope he'll still come around :(
User avatar
alichamp
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 749
Joined: Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:50 pm
Country: Australia
Location: NSW

Re: Hello from a grumpy lil skink

Postby alichamp » Sat Nov 26, 2016 3:18 pm

20cm including the tail?? That's a young baby, definitely not 1 year old. If that's the correct measurement then expect him to hide A LOT for a few months.

When you change over to paper towel take the opportunity to weigh and measure him. If he's a baby then behaviour and advice will be a bit different than if he's older. Keep us updated on feeding because they do need to eat regularly when little.
Ohgeez
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 71
Joined: Sat Aug 20, 2016 12:40 am
Country: Australia

Re: Hello from a grumpy lil skink

Postby Ohgeez » Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:36 pm

If it's normal for him to still be hiding then I'm relieved, I'd read so much about skinks becoming more active only within the first month and I was getting worried :o
I'll leave the food in there more regularly then and hope that will give him more insentive to come out despite my presence.
Ohgeez
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 71
Joined: Sat Aug 20, 2016 12:40 am
Country: Australia

Re: Hello from a grumpy lil skink

Postby Ohgeez » Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:43 pm

A few days back I swapped his substrate to paper towel. Not as pretty and I'm sure Doug misses submerging himself within his hide, poor guy. Today he gifted me with LOTS of poop! I usually spend most my time in my room but since he really doesn't like me being around, so I now make sure to leave the room to give him at least 3 hours of solitude to eat and bask. I guess we really have lots in common, secluding ourselves in our rooms to be alone :lol:

I forgot to measure him though, I think he must be longer than I estimated, because I'm aquantiences with his previous owner and I remember her getting him late last year. :|
User avatar
alichamp
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 749
Joined: Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:50 pm
Country: Australia
Location: NSW

Re: Hello from a grumpy lil skink

Postby alichamp » Sun Dec 04, 2016 4:35 pm

That's Ok, just do weigh and measure next time you have the need to take him out - no real hurry the last signs are good I think so just give him more time and keep an eye on the food intake and outgoing. :wink:

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 276 guests