Page 1 of 1

BTS toe swelling?

Posted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 4:27 am
by Splintax01
Hi, I've noticed my BTS's toes have started swelling slightly, and don't know if I should be worried about it. He is about 7 years old and I've had no health issues with him so far, so maybe this is just normal?

I've also noticed that he's been acting kind of sleepy (he's still alert but he seems to be closing one eye or sleeping more often than usual, and it's spring..). His doesn't seem to have much appetite either, just stepping on his food and knocking over his water bowl :P

He gets plenty of unfiltered sunlight, I try let him wander around outside for at least 30 min each day when I can.

Here's one of his feet. There's more but it looks kind of the same as this one. Is this normal?

Image



Thanks

Re: BTS toe swelling?

Posted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 5:48 am
by StaceyLeigh
The toes do look a little dry. I use Emu Oil to help with shedding issues. Also check humidity levels. I am assuming you have a Northern or Eastern. Northerns need 40-60% humidity. Easterns, I am not as familiar with.

Re: BTS toe swelling?

Posted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 3:09 pm
by splashy07
Emu oil? Sounds interesting, where do you get it? Looks like an eastern you have there, I recently got a baby eastern from a breeder here in the states and I too was unfamiliar with the breed as I have not been keeping them that long. I asked the breeder about their care and he said the same as northerns, which I believe most of us keep too dry. I have increased the humidity levels to what Stacey stated for both my Easterns and northerns, and have not had shedding issues since. I have also changed out my glass enclosures for pvc type cages which hold humidity much better than the glass/screen top types. Looks like your little guy may have a dryness issue, what substrate do you have him on? Cypress mulch, repti bark and coco husk are pretty good at holding humidity but I'm not sure of the availability where you are.
Good luck with your sweet thing!

Re: BTS toe swelling?

Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 6:23 pm
by alichamp
How's this guy been going Splintax?