Newbie Criticism Requested
Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 5:26 pm
Hello all, long story short I was looking for a little lizard and I fell in love with a blue tongue skink about a month ago. I have been steadily working to get him home! What I know about Doug is this: he ~3 years old, rather skittish but friendly, ~2' long, and he has not been known to bite anyone. He's not been officially sexed (not something I wanted to do being inexperienced and when he's not exactly mine on paper), nor has he been bred.He has never been to a vet as far as I know; the lady in charge of his care at the shop is not often there when I am in for my weekly visit so I haven't had a chance to follow up on that. Regardless, working in a veterinary clinic myself means, after his 2 week settling period at home, he will be taken to the nearest and most knowledgeable exotics vet for a health exam. They've given me quite the story at the shop on his health so I am a little concerned. I am continuing to do research both at home online and from any books available at work to get a clear idea on what might have caused his thyroid? issues. He was surrendered to the pet store as his owners were unsure if they could continue treating him appropriately. He apparently had a goitre(treated by the shop using trace amounts of iodine in seaweed), which seemed to be from swelling of the thyroid causing him not to eat efficiently. His shed often doesn't come off on it's own so baths do have to happen on occasion and he apparently doesn't enjoy them much (tips on training blueys appreciated, he's learned to squirm and get put down before peeing already so he's smart enough!). He is missing the tips of some toes, due to improper shedding most likely. His goitre is unnoticeable, but I need to take in clippers to trim his nails next visit.
I have really been taking my time with Doug's enclosure/homecoming to ensure I have put in the research and he's coming to a good forever home. So I have purchased a 36"*18"*18" terrarium(the stand is built for bigger when I can build his custom terrarium), reptibark for substrate, UVB and heat light in a dual dome, heat emitting cable, sizeable water dish(he has a special feed dish that will be sent home), digital hygrometer/thermometer(need to purchase one more thermometer for opposite side of the tank), using an old piece of slate roughly his size for a basking spot, Calcium+D3 supplement, I still need to purchase a hide hut and a few other food items. If I am missing anything or should possibly change something please give me your opinion, I'm a noob to skinks after all! I am currently building the stand, however its been halted as the cold weather has made the garage a poor place to stain wood.
I might be insane but I guess we will find out in the next 2-3 weeks. I really want to make sure I'm going to be a good fit for him as our family does not believe in returning or re-homing companions. I have read the care sheet several times over and did my best to build a good rounded checklist.
What do you think his subspecies is? Irian Jaya blue-tongued skink or Australian blue-tongued skink(I'm leaning on the first due to a beautiful orange hue of the belly)
I have really been taking my time with Doug's enclosure/homecoming to ensure I have put in the research and he's coming to a good forever home. So I have purchased a 36"*18"*18" terrarium(the stand is built for bigger when I can build his custom terrarium), reptibark for substrate, UVB and heat light in a dual dome, heat emitting cable, sizeable water dish(he has a special feed dish that will be sent home), digital hygrometer/thermometer(need to purchase one more thermometer for opposite side of the tank), using an old piece of slate roughly his size for a basking spot, Calcium+D3 supplement, I still need to purchase a hide hut and a few other food items. If I am missing anything or should possibly change something please give me your opinion, I'm a noob to skinks after all! I am currently building the stand, however its been halted as the cold weather has made the garage a poor place to stain wood.
I might be insane but I guess we will find out in the next 2-3 weeks. I really want to make sure I'm going to be a good fit for him as our family does not believe in returning or re-homing companions. I have read the care sheet several times over and did my best to build a good rounded checklist.
What do you think his subspecies is? Irian Jaya blue-tongued skink or Australian blue-tongued skink(I'm leaning on the first due to a beautiful orange hue of the belly)