[Help]Got mites infestation on my Bluey!

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
Hcildwold
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:14 pm
Country:

[Help]Got mites infestation on my Bluey!

Postby Hcildwold » Sun Oct 02, 2016 11:22 am

So I noticed my baby BTS wasn't eating at all and was always trying to escape the cage so I though he wanted to explore hehe..
Well I was right but it wasn't him who wanted to explore but the whole colony of little black dots that wanted to explore him :oops:

Took out my new Samsung Galaxy s7 edge (I had to mention it) and searched.. and searched.. I raged a bit because, insects feeding on my animal? Not gonna happen without a price. I gently lifted some scales and started removing them and putting them in boiling water one by one.

That part might be a mistake but I went for the ears cause he had the elders center living in them, big ones, gently I removed them.

I put him in a bath, a towel floating on 5 inch of warm water so he could grab onto it and only his head was sticking out of the water, I supervised him for 20mins and took him out and did a check up with vegetable oil, rubbing up and down his body, everything was gone and dead.

Did a little set up in a quarantine cage with towel at the bottom and a home I made with a playing bottle :P

For the vivarium I didn't care, I took it, I filled the bath with hot steaming water (Hottest I could get) and dump the substrate and the whole vivarium and yes I submerged the whole vivarium.

It's been there for 8h so far and my Bluey is eating and looks fine.

What should I do next?
What am I missing?
User avatar
Susann
ADMIN
ADMIN
Posts: 4022
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:06 pm
Country: USA
Location: Utah

Re: [Help]Got mites infestation on my Bluey!

Postby Susann » Fri Oct 07, 2016 12:56 pm

Here is a thread on treating for mites:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=29388

This post has some good links:
alichamp wrote:Snake mites (reptile mites) are black in colour and you will likely see them on your skink's head in particular. If snake mites you will also see tiny white spots on your skink (particularly back) which is mite waste.

I have made a few posts in the past when I've had to deal with mites. Typing 'mites' in the search box above will give you some good hits. Also these are where I have pulled together info while treating mites and you might find these helpful:
Our first shed!!! AND bonus mites
Ugggg in quarantine for mites

If it IS mites, it's not unusual that he is a bit grumpy and off his food. And if it IS mites I would definitely treat them aggressively as I describe in my links above and continue treating for the life cycle.

Did the vet identify them? Not sure if this is what you are seeing: Wood lice?.
Breeder and keeper of Meraukes from 2010 to 2022.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 298 guests