Page 1 of 1

Handling Babies

Posted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:44 am
by MrBlueTongue
Hello! So my baby, Socrates, is a Northern BTS. I am fairly new to owning a reptile of any sort and I want to make sure he is as happy as can be. So, despite the numerous websites that cover handling these beautiful creatures, I have a question which i'd like to ask an experienced community. How do I go about initially picking up my skink? It's been about 5 days and after the first 3 days I started introducing my hand, letting him sniff and get my scent. He receded a few times and burrowed under his bedding. Then he became aware that my hand wasn't going to hurt him. He would flatten himself out in the presence of my hand but he would stay still and watch my fingers. I can now successfully have my hand a few inches from him without him huffing or flattening. So, I tried to lightly begin petting his head/back and let him know that my hand is not a threat at all. He seems reluctant to my touch and often retreats soon after I begin giving him pets. What are some good strategies that would start allowing me to pick him up and have him sit on my lap. I don't want to just grab him out of his cage as i'm afraid of traumatizing him or moving too fast for his comfort. What do you guys/gals think?

Re: Handling Babies

Posted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:45 am
by MrBlueTongue
by the way, this is my baby shooting his tongue around and watching me intently xD

Re: Handling Babies

Posted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:50 am
by MrBlueTongue
Anybody? The help would be super appreciated. I just want to know if I should just attempt to pick him up regardless of his reaction or if I should give him more time

Re: Handling Babies

Posted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:38 am
by Forcep
My northern baby was literally HISSING and BITING when it first arrived, and I was so worried that I've got a feisty individual which would take forever to tame. I left it alone for a few days, then start to tong feed it and making eye contact. I picked it up for the first time after 5 days, got a bite on the hand (which doesn't matter at all since it's still small), and guess what? It doesn't afraid of me any more after I've held it for 5 min.

Blue tongues are really smart animals, I don't think your bluey will be stressed out too much by your first handling attempt; it will understand what you're doing very soon :wink:

Re: Handling Babies

Posted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:51 pm
by splashy07
I held back one baby from my northern litter this year and he absolutely hates when I go into his enclosure to change water, feed, etc. then I just reach right in and grab him and in seconds he is eating from my hand. When I pick him up I give him a treat he likes so he will eventually realize the big hand is not bad. He still runs every time, but I just pick him right up. He's about three weeks old. Once I'm holding him, he's fine. Your little one is adorable!

Re: Handling Babies

Posted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:19 am
by MrBlueTongue
Thanks guys :) you are awesome!!! I held my baby the first time two days ago and he was a little bugged out but didn't even hiss. Just flattened himself out a bit. Next day I held him with my girlfriend and he was actually happy! He seemed to like the pets and attention. Just one last question for anyone observing this thread: I got aspen as my bedding now and I just wanted to share a picture to make sure it's okay. Ive heard horrible things about pieces of aspen in noses/eyes and yet it is one of the most recommended beddings for northerns. Anywho, this Is my setup :)

Re: Handling Babies

Posted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:22 am
by MrBlueTongue
oops. here's that pic

Re: Handling Babies

Posted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:56 am
by Forcep
The aspen I'm using is a little bit different, I've heard that shaved aspen is better than shredded ones so I use aspen shavings. You can read more details about substrates here: http://bluetongueskinks.net/care.htm#substrate

Re: Handling Babies

Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 3:44 am
by alichamp
I think it's fine to just pick him up regardless of his reaction, especially as he sounds pretty tame. My suggestions would be don't dig him out to pick him up, and when you do handle him, keep it pleasant: give yummy treats and keep handling to really short periods (10-15mins at first) and then put him back.

Physically, when you pick him up scoop up under him making sure you support both sets of legs and then just place him on your hand/arm/lap letting him get himself comfortable. This will help him feel supported and secure under his body.

Oh, and not sure what you mean by 'he seems to like the pets' or what other pets you have but I'd keep all other pets well away every you have him out.