New to the Forum
Posted: Wed May 25, 2016 11:23 am
Hey all, just wanted to introduce myself. I found this forum while searching for more information on the BTS in general and Meraukes specifically. I've been a lurker on the board for almost a year and finally decided to post and introduce myself. I come from the reef aquarium hobby so I'm familiar with taking care of animals that have unique needs.
I've always been interested in reptiles and have frequently watched the cute little iguanas and veiled chameleons at a certain pet store chain. I'm familiar with the necessity to research animals before buying them (fish have a variety of requirements including minimum tank size and tank mates) and to my surprise found that your average green iguana can grow up to 5 or 6 feet long and you would need a cage at least twice that length to house them! Veiled chameleons on the other hand might be best for a more experienced herper and they dont like to be handled, so for the most part they're an observe only animal (I have a lot of those already). Enter the Merauke Blue Tongue Skink, a reptile that will tolerate some handling, grows to be large but not too large, needs the 60% humidity that my "office" (aka fish room) already provides (of course I wouldn't solely rely on this as my only humidity source/measurement), and has a diet that is easier for beginners to source. I hope to receive a Merauke within the next couple months and am currently preparing it's terrarium for future habitation.
Here's a little more info about my reef aquarium setup. I have a 65 gallon mixed reef aquarium with a variety of fish, coral, anemones, and other invertebrates. Connected to the main display tank is a 20 gallon sump and a 20 gallon filter feeder tank (the filter feeder tank allows me to keep fun tiny animals like sexy shrimp, anemone shrimp, and yellow line shrimp without fear of them being swallowed in an instant by some of the larger fish in my display tank like my marine betta or foxface). I've been in the challenging reef aquarium hobby for about 4 years and have had my share of failures and successes with an eye on how I can always improve the stability of the system and environment for my animals.
I'm currently using a Neptune Apex controller to monitor my aquarium. It uses sensor probes to monitor temperature, pH, ORP (Oxygen Reduction Potential, a general dissolved oxygen measurement), and salinity. It records the measurements and can turn on or off any device plugged into the Apex powerbar as well as send me an email if something needs to be addressed immediately. It's not full proof, but it does help, and it eases the worry that comes with having a giant block of suspended water in your house. I've seen a couple reptile related controllers that look pretty good like the Herpstat 2, but if possible I would like to use my Neptune Apex controller that i'm already heavily invested in to monitor my future Merakue BTS environment (temp, humidity, email alerts, maybe more?). *** Does anyone have any experience using the Neptune Apex controller for their reptiles? *** I've found one or two vivarium/dart frog owners that have adapted their Apex systems to fit their needs (Neptune doesn't make a humidity probe so they found a way to connect another brand's humidity probe), but no one housing skinks.
I will be around the boards and will try to break out of my lurker habits. -- Ryan
I've always been interested in reptiles and have frequently watched the cute little iguanas and veiled chameleons at a certain pet store chain. I'm familiar with the necessity to research animals before buying them (fish have a variety of requirements including minimum tank size and tank mates) and to my surprise found that your average green iguana can grow up to 5 or 6 feet long and you would need a cage at least twice that length to house them! Veiled chameleons on the other hand might be best for a more experienced herper and they dont like to be handled, so for the most part they're an observe only animal (I have a lot of those already). Enter the Merauke Blue Tongue Skink, a reptile that will tolerate some handling, grows to be large but not too large, needs the 60% humidity that my "office" (aka fish room) already provides (of course I wouldn't solely rely on this as my only humidity source/measurement), and has a diet that is easier for beginners to source. I hope to receive a Merauke within the next couple months and am currently preparing it's terrarium for future habitation.
Here's a little more info about my reef aquarium setup. I have a 65 gallon mixed reef aquarium with a variety of fish, coral, anemones, and other invertebrates. Connected to the main display tank is a 20 gallon sump and a 20 gallon filter feeder tank (the filter feeder tank allows me to keep fun tiny animals like sexy shrimp, anemone shrimp, and yellow line shrimp without fear of them being swallowed in an instant by some of the larger fish in my display tank like my marine betta or foxface). I've been in the challenging reef aquarium hobby for about 4 years and have had my share of failures and successes with an eye on how I can always improve the stability of the system and environment for my animals.
I'm currently using a Neptune Apex controller to monitor my aquarium. It uses sensor probes to monitor temperature, pH, ORP (Oxygen Reduction Potential, a general dissolved oxygen measurement), and salinity. It records the measurements and can turn on or off any device plugged into the Apex powerbar as well as send me an email if something needs to be addressed immediately. It's not full proof, but it does help, and it eases the worry that comes with having a giant block of suspended water in your house. I've seen a couple reptile related controllers that look pretty good like the Herpstat 2, but if possible I would like to use my Neptune Apex controller that i'm already heavily invested in to monitor my future Merakue BTS environment (temp, humidity, email alerts, maybe more?). *** Does anyone have any experience using the Neptune Apex controller for their reptiles? *** I've found one or two vivarium/dart frog owners that have adapted their Apex systems to fit their needs (Neptune doesn't make a humidity probe so they found a way to connect another brand's humidity probe), but no one housing skinks.
I will be around the boards and will try to break out of my lurker habits. -- Ryan
but maybe start out putting the enclosure in the aquarium room, and should your skink seem to be having issues, then you can re-assess the location, or maybe set up a "temporary" tub with a heat source where you can place the skink for a period every day when your home is at its busiest...?