An Odd Merauke... Interesting But Graphic

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
Hammock
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

An Odd Merauke... Interesting But Graphic

Postby Hammock » Thu May 19, 2016 3:58 am

After almost a couple years of consideration. I decided to post this photo. Not to disturb anyone but to show that abnormal things do happen in nature. If this had happened in the wild, probably it would never have been observed. I watched the mother Merauke give birth to this neonate and then I watched her birth two more after this one. This one in photo did not break free of its membrane and the other newborns were starting to feed on its afterbirth. I then removed it seeing that it was possibly two babies in one membrane I removed the membrane and was surprised with what I have in my hand. The baby shortly expired maybe twenty minutes later. It was photographed and then preserved in 37% formaldehyde. The rest of the litter did great and are perfect adults in every way. Mother Merauke had an excellent litter again last year and is about to go again any day now. I might mention that the mother was an import from several years ago and the father is an import from 4 or 5 years ago. Totally unrelated. Mike
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ray Gurgui
Rocker of Rock 'n Roll
Rocker of Rock 'n Roll

Re: An Odd Merauke... Interesting But Graphic

Postby Ray Gurgui » Thu May 19, 2016 5:53 am

Very Interesting, two bodies one head. I had one born like that in 2004, its in the deformity's part of the care sheet. But mine was starting to split into twins I think, it had a third eye in the center and a cleft upper lip and the back of the head was starting to split. Had two tails and eight legs. I still have mine preserved too.
www.thunderbayherps.com

Northern 4.11
Caramel Northern 2.4.3
Sunset Northern 1.0
Het Sunset Northern 2.7
Turner Line White Northern 0.4.1
Eastern 10.14.4
Tanimbar 2.3
Iran Jaya 2.4.5
Merueke 1.1
Kei Island 2.5
Alpine Blotched 3.4
Dakota
Snail Hunter
Snail Hunter
Your Facebook name: Dakota Nivens

Postby Dakota » Thu May 19, 2016 7:27 am

Very interesting. There was a case of a Bearded Dragon having the belly of a supposed twin that was trying to split from his back similar to this. It was a subadult the last time I seen it; I can't seem to find pictures of it right now.
"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man." — Charles Darwin
Susann
Merauke Mama
Merauke Mama
Your Facebook name: Sue Bee

Postby Susann » Thu May 19, 2016 12:49 pm

Amazing. Sad, but amazing.

Conjoined twins happen in many species of animals...
1.0 Merauke
Bred Meraukes for years, now I get to just enjoy my BIG boy Milo!
Sue Bee on FB.
splashy07

Postby splashy07 » Thu May 19, 2016 4:44 pm

I had a few abnormalities in my beardie breedings a few years back. Had Siamese Twins joined at the stomach and one with just feet sticking out of the sides and no legs. The twins lived for two months. Rather disconcerting but interesting nonetheless. I hope to God I have nothing like that with my BTs, I would probably have to be institutionalized.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”