Page 1 of 1

Ever seen a blue Merauke? Meet Albert

Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:04 am
by Dakota
Well, not really blue ... but really silver! I do think his tail and sides are a light blue, though - his back is more silver. The very top of his head has a light tinge of tan. I picked this guy up a couple months ago. I'm unsure of its sex, but I'm really hoping it is female. The thing is VERY obese, though! It breathes like it is gravid. I kinda feel sorry for it. Slowly, but surely, I think he is starting to slim down some. If the the stars align just right, and turns out to be female, "she" will be named Alberta. :wink: The previous owner housed him on sand, so he also came to me with very sore, cracked feet. He still has all his toes, though. He doesn't walk like he is in pain anymore now, which is great. On top of that, he also has some scar tissue in varying places over his body. Virginia has something similar on her tail, too, that she came with. BUT overall, he is a pretty cool little (BIG) skink. I have two major exams tomorrow, so I only had time to take photos of him. I had to take a break from studying. :freaks: :freaks: :uhhhh: :wall:
Image
Image
Image
He has a BEAUTIFULLY contrasting salmon pink belly.
Image

Re: Ever seen a blue Merauke? Meet Albert

Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 3:30 pm
by splashy07
Very pretty skink!

Re: Ever seen a blue Merauke? Meet Albert

Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:41 pm
by Janella
Gorgeous!

Re: Ever seen a blue Merauke? Meet Albert

Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 2:37 am
by TPceebee
Big lad! Looks awesome

Re: Ever seen a blue Merauke? Meet Albert

Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:14 am
by Dakota
Thanks everyone! He is quite awesome. I forgot to mention, but he is right around 60 cm ±. I haven't weighed him, but I guess well over 1,000 grams. If I can get him down to around 700, I'll be happy.

Re: Ever seen a blue Merauke? Meet Albert

Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:17 am
by tcopitho
Love the thin bands, and that stark transition from white right into that beautiful belly. Cool looking guy.

Re: Ever seen a blue Merauke? Meet Albert

Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:59 am
by Dakota
tcopitho wrote:Love the thin bands, and that stark transition from white right into that beautiful belly. Cool looking guy.

Yeah, it reminds me of a fish fillet — silver on top, salmon pink on bottom. Might be an odd comparison.. :lol:

If it is female, I have a male lined up for "her". Also very silver, but his bands aren't quite as thin. Nevertheless, still would make an exceptional pair. Would be cool to have some silver Merauke born next year. :woo: I'm not aware of anyone working with a silver Merauke project outside of the UK, so it'll be a fun little project.

Re: Ever seen a blue Merauke? Meet Albert

Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:12 am
by tcopitho
Dakota wrote:Yeah, it reminds me of a fish fillet — silver on top, salmon pink on bottom. Might be an odd comparison.. :lol:

Ah ha! that's totally what it is.

Yeah It would be great to see some silver babies next year.

I know all about hoping your unconfirmed are females, waiting and hoping on three at the moment. I keep telling them they are females, but I'm not sure it will help hahaha.

Re: Ever seen a blue Merauke? Meet Albert

Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:28 am
by Dakota
Yeah, fingers crossed the odds are in our favor. I'm not really sure what I'll do if it is male. I don't want to breed him to anything orange, because that would probably create a lot of tan babies. If male, I could breed him to Virginia, and hold back any babies that are silver. Her base color is a light tan, so the chances of producing higher % silver babies is probably more likely. Maybe? Maybe silver x orange would turn out something cool looking. Or just wait for a female silver to come along, because I kinda want to do the Hunter x Virginia pairing again. I guess I'll cross that bridge when I get there. For now, hopefully female. :lol: From behavioral sexing, the skinks just ignore him, even the males. The males are still relatively in combat mode with other males, so maybe that is a good sign? Who knows.

Re: Ever seen a blue Merauke? Meet Albert

Posted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:28 am
by TPceebee
Dakota wrote:From behavioral sexing, the skinks just ignore him, even the males.


LOL! Poor guy/gal. silver x orange may be interesting...

Re: Ever seen a blue Merauke? Meet Albert

Posted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:55 pm
by Snowysmom
Wow, that's a great looking Merauke.

Re: Ever seen a blue Merauke? Meet Albert

Posted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:48 pm
by tcopitho
Dakota wrote: I'm not really sure what I'll do if it is male. I don't want to breed him to anything orange, because that would probably create a lot of tan babies. If male, I could breed him to Virginia, and hold back any babies that are silver. Her base color is a light tan, so the chances of producing higher % silver babies is probably more likely. Maybe? Maybe silver x orange would turn out something cool looking.


Male or female you could have a lot of fun with this one. Id like to see what he and Virginia could throw if he does turn out male. In the mean time Ill cross my fingers for you and hope for a female. There never seems to be too many about. :D

Re: Ever seen a blue Merauke? Meet Albert

Posted: Tue May 03, 2016 11:43 am
by Wiwaxia
:shock: Amazing colors!