Page 1 of 1

New Custom Rack Build

Posted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 5:37 pm
by tcopitho
My dad was out visiting a month or so ago, so I put him to work helping me make a couple rack systems, thought I would post some pictures. I have no need for twelve new enclosures, but I figured if Im making one, I might as well make two...

Im using 24x36x8inch tubs (not as large as I wanted) and 6x18inch Reptile Basics heat tape. I had my concerns about the heat tape, I've never used it before and was worried it wouldn't be enough for my critters, which was a bit of a gamble since I had to make a trip across the boarder to pick them up. Im happy to report they have far surpassed my hopes reaching optimal temps at only 40% power on my thermostat during the day, and the bluey's get a nice even warmth.

Im currently only keeping a baby and my very shy adult merauke in the system. Both seem to really be benefiting. They are out basking more often and just seem over all more active and secure. That said, I had had one of my more social skinks in one of the rack just temporarily, and he didn't seem to warm up to it well. He's back in his bigger, more open enclosure, which suits him better.

Now for pics

Re: New Custom Rack Build

Posted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 6:14 pm
by Dakota
Nice! What model are the tubs?

Re: New Custom Rack Build

Posted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 6:32 pm
by tcopitho
Dakota wrote:Nice! What model are the tubs?


These are the Ace Hardware 23 Gal Utility Tubs. Im thinking they'll work great for babies, and as I mentioned more shy lizards who spend all of their time hiding anyway. I had to pick them up from Washington as well, apparently us Canadians have no need for large utility tubs :D

http://www.acehardware.com/product/inde ... d=68302536

Re: New Custom Rack Build

Posted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 6:34 pm
by Dakota
Very cool. Ace is where I get all my tubs. I'll have to pick these up for my Keis soon. Thanks!!

Re: New Custom Rack Build

Posted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 7:34 pm
by tcopitho
I had a heck of a time finally tracking these down. Ace is an awesome hardware store, I wish we had them North of the border. For a while I was trying to find cement mixing tubs, and was told very pointedly to just use a wheel barrel, hahaha.

Good luck using these for your keis, I hope they work out for you.

Re: New Custom Rack Build

Posted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 9:20 pm
by tcopitho
Here are a couple pics of the two tubs in use

Re: New Custom Rack Build

Posted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 11:14 pm
by xxmonitorlizardxx
Nice rack!
Do they get light?
How many Meraukes are you working with?

Re: New Custom Rack Build

Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 2:29 pm
by tcopitho
xxmonitorlizardxx wrote:Nice rack!
Do they get light?
How many Meraukes are you working with?



Thank you! Im using a 2foot string of LED's in each tub, I got the most natural coloured ones I could find, I believe they are 4500k, they give a really nice amount of light in the tubs when closed (the pictures don't represent the light well). They do not get light from the outside unfortunately, so the critters in the rack get extra care to their supplements, and as soon as its warmer will be getting some outdoor sun basking time on a regular basis. The LED's work really nice in simulating a good daytime light.

I currently have two meraukes in the rack, and have three others.

Re: New Custom Rack Build

Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 6:18 pm
by ETNJ
Awesome rack I like that litter dam, pretty clever. I really need to get some led lights for my rack, how do you have them set up? Are they just strung up on the level above the tub?

Re: New Custom Rack Build

Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 6:57 pm
by tcopitho
thanks ETNJ. Yes the led's work really nice. Currently I just have them adhered to the bottom of the above platform using a bit of tape. Im working on a more permanent way of fastening them, but the tape is holding up for now.

Re: New Custom Rack Build

Posted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:38 am
by Susann
tcopitho wrote:Currently I just have them adhered to the bottom of the above platform using a bit of tape.

We realize you're working on something more permanent, but I'd still like to see a picture of how you've attached them for now... if you don't mind showing us...?

Re: New Custom Rack Build

Posted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:09 pm
by tcopitho
Here are some pictures of the lighting. As you can see, just taped for now, the guys at the store gave me improper size of clips for my fixtures to attach them correctly. Inside the fixture is just a standard string of LED tape. The fixtures are 8mm thick and attached toward the front of the tub.