Page 1 of 1

Making platforms

Posted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 3:28 pm
by Susann
This is how I make my basking/water bowl/hide platforms.

These particular ones, I made to use with water bowls; the legs on these are a bit shorter than the ones I tend to use for basking/hides, and these are also the smoother kind of tile --ones intended for bathroom walls and kitchen "back-splashes" rather than floors. I tend to go for the bigger, "rougher" floor type of tiles when making basking platforms; I also use a bit taller cuts of PVC pipe for those.

Anywhoo... Here we go.

IMG_2095.JPG

IMG_2094.JPG

IMG_2097.JPG

IMG_2098.JPG

IMG_2122.JPG


IMG_4526.JPG

IMG_4516.JPG


Feel free to show us how you make yours. :D

Re: Making platforms

Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:26 am
by Meeper
These are so neat. I have all my goodies ready to go, just need to cut up my PVC pipe. How long do you make the legs for basking platforms?

Re: Making platforms

Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 12:27 pm
by Susann
Meeper wrote:How long do you make the legs for basking platforms?

Depends on the height of the tank. In my taller tanks, I believe the legs are 4 inches --or close to it.
In my lower tanks the heat lamp is pretty far down into the tank, so I tend to actually use the water platforms as basking platforms instead, and have the water bowl on the taller platforms.
I'd say it would also depend on how much substrate you intend to use. I rarely have more than about an inch, which leaves plenty of space under the taller platforms even without digging, and enough under the lower ones that they can easily still get under there.

Re: Making platforms

Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 7:43 pm
by Thrillodendron
Hello,

I was just curious what you are using to make your cuts on the PVC pipe to make them straight and even. Are you using an an actual PVC cutting tool or a saw?

I've been building platforms like these using wooden dowels and hot glue for the legs, but I'm looking to refine my methods and these look great.

Cheers

Re: Making platforms

Posted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:08 am
by Eurastus
I cut Susann's PVC platform legs with a rather large pipe cutter:
12a040d0-01bb-43c1-a868-c51bd5e835be_1000.jpg

This type of tool makes precise, square, cuts and is very easy to use.

Purchase here: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-Quick- ... /204258904