Enclosure Pictures

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
LavenderFleur
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Re: Enclosure Pictures

Postby LavenderFleur » Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:47 am

Leeroy in his new 48x24x16 Zen Habitat. This is an upgrade from a 40 gallon breeder, so he is really enjoying the extra space!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BlueBella
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby BlueBella » Sun Dec 29, 2019 7:06 pm

Upgraded Deckard to a 48x18x18 tank for Christmas and bought some new decor to go with it. It's a nice upgrade from his 40 gal plus it has more ventilation and sliding doors. He definitely seems to like the extra room. :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1.0 Northern Blue Tongue Skink—Deckard
0.2 Mutts—Penny and Roxy
0.2 Guinea Pigs—Pumpkin and Potato
Rakeone
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Rakeone » Sun Feb 09, 2020 1:57 pm

Here are my upgraded setup.
One pvc, one glass.
Cypress mulch, basking tiles, uvb + basking light (flood) + che.
skating-beans
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby skating-beans » Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:12 am

Cleaned out the tank today and added some new bits for Bean! He's been happily exploring the new warm hide :D
IMG_20200216_165208.jpg
lalat
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby lalat » Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:40 am

Bunnings, Charity store special
026FBB3C-0C83-4EF2-9AD0-5325A5BA04C4.jpeg
swilson707
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Would this be big enough

Postby swilson707 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:42 am

A 60inch by 18inch by 18inch
OlitheHalmahera
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby OlitheHalmahera » Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:04 am

I have a 190*62*40 cm tank. I misunderstood the size they needed so I ended up with a way to big homebuilt, but my Halmahera doesn't seem to mind.
Azu
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Azu » Sat Apr 04, 2020 2:55 pm

Janella wrote:Hey guys, so I finally was able to switch Noodles off of the Aspen and onto Jungle Mix with Reptibark on top. The Jungle Mix is supposed to be wetted to help add moisture which I did. Not to much though. I still see that the humidity is only 30%. Any suggestions? His basking spot is between 100-105. Then he has ambient temp around 80-85. The lowest spot by where I feed him is about 70's. I attached some pictures. Let me know what you all think. I appreciate it.

add more water to the ground, spray the air with a fresh spray bottle, put cardboard on top to better keep the moisture in there.
curubb86
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby curubb86 » Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:30 pm

Lizzy McGuire's current set up. It's a second hand glass homebuild 150x60x110 (it used to house beardies so a lot of height). Substrate is bioactive mix of coco fibre, pine bark and spagnum moss. The pvc pipe connects to a buried tunnel (can just see other opening behind the pipe). In total he has about 6 hides he can utilise scattered across the tank, plus the substrate is nice and deep (approx 150 litres) so he can burrow whenever he wants to :D
Janella
ADMIN
ADMIN
Your Facebook name: Janella Poch

Postby Janella » Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:10 pm

Looks amazing :thumbs:
tomaslundahl
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby tomaslundahl » Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:13 am

Boris my new BTS
Stanuki
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Stanuki » Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:42 am

First post please give me pointers or advice!
My tank is a custom 4x2x2 with bamboo sidings. The background is from universal rocks. The substrate is topsoil and cypress moss with a rock drainage later under the side with the moss. The pothos and ginseng plant have their own pots which are hidden, the Scottish moss is planted. The fixtures that I have are a T5 H0 Reptarium Hood with the respective UVB Arcadia Bulb (off), a 38 watt flood on the right and a full spectrum led plant light on the left. And there’s some cork bark in there. No clean up crew. Don’t worry I’m going to put paper over the peak spots in the hides so that my skink can not be seen all of the time.

The enclosure was previously home to a Halmahera, became my plant storage, and now I’m converting it for a northern that will arrive next week. I’m thinking about adding more plants in if these ones survive the visitor. Tell me what you think. :D
A6C0A287-1168-408B-94C9-E05DFF312C06.jpeg

E4BFFCCB-0224-4291-AE46-F0D4E833AB43.jpeg
1BDEC0BB-437A-41DA-8F1B-A1559ECC651B.jpeg
ekswhyzee
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby ekswhyzee » Sat Jun 20, 2020 12:28 pm

This is my new Bluey, Norbert! He's still warming up to me but we're working on trust. Just added more leaf cover to hopefully help with his confidence. Using Reptibark (100% cypress mulch) with a few spots of sphagnum moss for better digging. He has a warm and hot hide as well as a paper towel tube for a third hide because he's a baby. I have a basking light and UVB but also supplementing about 1x week with calcium and multivitamins. Take a look at his setup! It is the minimum size enclosure right now, but I plan to upgrade once he is an adult.

Any feedback and/or tips would be much appreciated!

(Pictures are seen as upside down in the post, but if you click them they'll open right side up. Sorry about that!)
Janella
ADMIN
ADMIN
Your Facebook name: Janella Poch

Postby Janella » Sat Jun 20, 2020 5:24 pm

Welcome to the forum. Your set up looks great. Enjoy your new friend.
ekswhyzee
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby ekswhyzee » Mon Jun 22, 2020 5:09 pm

Great to hear! Thank you :)
DourPanda
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby DourPanda » Thu Dec 31, 2020 8:03 pm

So many awesome set ups! :D

This is the enclosure that came with my Merauke bluey from the girl that was re-homing him, It's 48x18x13.

I gave it a nice clean and changed out the substrate to a cypress mulch & coco coir mix. Taped off the top screens (except for where the lights sit of course) to hold in humidity.
Also swapped out the 150 watt bulb that the previous owner was using, for a 60w CHE on one side and a 75w basking /10.0 uvb light double dome.
Humidity stays between 70-80% with one good misting each day. Cold side is averaging 73-75 degrees F, warm side between 85-90, and his rock/basking spot gets to about 100 degrees.

20201231_123215(1).jpg

20201231_123210(1).jpg
rixusaku
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby rixusaku » Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:44 am

I'm a new bluey owner (and overall reptile owner) and I'm picking up my bought puppy reptile later this afternoon. I've always thought that the populated and thought out tanks look really nice, so I went all out on my tank so I'm not always feeling like I need to upgrade.

Right now I'm using three layers of substrate, mostly because I was testing things out to figure out what would be best for me, then found out my humidity was too high, got coco husks but that didn't bring it down too much, then got another layer that would hopefully dry things out and I think I succeeded in that. The bottom most layer is from a coconut fiber brick that I wet in a bucket per instructions, then mixed in coco husks. On the top most layer is repti bark that's made with fir bark chips. I filled the tank about 2.5"-3" of substrate for digging. I'm wondering if I should keep the three substrates I have, since the coco husk might allow for dug tunnels to stay intact because of all the loose and long fibers in it, or if I might just go with the coco fiber and repti bark in the future and skip on the coco husks. We'll see how it turns out.

For heating I'm using a 160w powersun uv bulb that claims to have uvb, uva, heat, and light all in the same bulb. I've also got a Digital Timer Power Center by Zilla for the heat lamp that isn't pictured here because that's in a nook under the desk near the back (it's very easy to use if you read the instructions). The water dish is the Zoo Med Repti Rapids skull waterfall fountain I have in the tank (the medium size one). I've got two hides on the cool side and one hide on the hot side. I might be able to count the t-rex skull as a hide, but it ended up being much smaller than I thought it would be, so we'll see what my bluey does with it. It might just end up being a decor piece.

The tank is a 48x24x18 inch terrarium by Carolina Designer Dragons (aka, Carolina Custom Cages) sitting on a 61x25.63 inch Hemnes desk from IKEA. I've also got a mini fridge under the desk to separate out the refrigerated skink food from my food (mostly for the snails). The dog food I'm going to have to keep in my freezer though once I portion it out (I'm using Whole Earth Farms Grain Free brands in three different flavors; beef, chicken, and turkey).

20210109_091451.jpg
20210109_091512.jpg
20210109_091546.jpg
20210109_093621.jpg
20210109_092849.jpg
Here's a video of the waterfall fountain if you're interested in seeing it in action
(it has the water sounds, but my ac was on at the time of recording. the motor isn't actually that loud unless you need to clean substrate out of it. the mini fridge motor is also audible)
| Noodle | Male | 3 years | Northern |
| My Care Experience: Since January 2021 |
Noodlebasket
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Noodlebasket » Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:58 pm

This is what I am working with so far, haven't picked up my Irian Jaya yet but have them on deposit! Probe placement is temporary as I monitor temps and humidity.
Irian Jaya - Blep
Enclosure - 1/2" PVC 48"x24"x24" with 4" dam
Substrate - 60% Topsoil/Sand 40% CocoBlox
Heating - Arcadia DHP 75W, Phillips PAR98 Halogen 90W
Lighting - Fluorescent 5.0 UVB100 24"
rixusaku
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby rixusaku » Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:52 am

Aaa sorry for another post, but I'm really proud of Noodle's tank this time. I did the deep clean after his shed. It took me 4 hours...oof! Half the time was sanitizing all the accessories, so I'm keeping some of the plants out, bought some new ones to make the plant equivalent even, and I'll swap out the plants in the next deep clean with already cleaned and sanitized plants. I also got a really cute name decal for his tank but it's hard to see since I didn't put a plant in that corner this time around.

He seems to be enjoying the extra space and the fact that I added even more substrate this time. He's been digging tunnels over in the back right corner every day.

Also, have an additional blep picture! :D (I love my bluey so much)

IMG_29012021_114638_(1920_x_1080_pixel).jpg
VideoCapture_20210128-152746.jpg
| Noodle | Male | 3 years | Northern |
| My Care Experience: Since January 2021 |
duffman
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby duffman » Sat Feb 13, 2021 4:12 pm

rixusaku I really like your enclosure especially the water fountain/waterfall! Noodles is one lucky skink!

Here is my enclosure it’s a bit of a work in progress, size is 120cm x 45cm x 60cm I am using coco coir for the substrate which appears to be working well humidity is good and my Eastern ‘Max’ really enjoys burrowing in it.

image.jpg

I was using a MVB bulb however wasn’t happy with the heat and light output so have changed to a spot light for the heat and are awaiting my UVB compact bulbs to arrive. I am much happier with the heat and light output which is a lot brighter and more sun like. I am lucky enough to live where Easterns live and have been taking Max outside to bask until my UVB bulbs comes in and will continue to take him outside throughout his life.

Max has been settling in well he comes out every day and basks and I have been holding him on and off. He has been eating most days although only being a couple of weeks old. He hasn’t even so much as huffed at me so far appears very tame. At the moment we are calling him Max and if we find out he is actually a she, we might have to change his name to Maxine lol which I don’t think my kids who named him will be to impressed!
hard work never killed anybody, but why take that chance..

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”