Enclosure Pictures

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
unaware
Tenderfoot
Tenderfoot

Re: Enclosure Pictures

Postby unaware » Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:57 am

Here's my 90x45x45 enclosure for an 8-ish year old BTS (named Mr Lizard) I got about 3 weeks ago. Substrate is a mix of coarse kritter's crumble and coco coir so that he can burrow in it.

There's a raised tile basking spot which its about 37 to 39C, another raised tile with his water dish on it, and a log hide which stretches between to 2. I decided to put the water dish on the raised tile so that Mr Lizard has a little bit more floor space to move around in.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Y33T
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Y33T » Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:41 pm

Just an enclosure update.
Expect another one soon bc I’m gonna upgrade them to 4x2x2ft vivariums
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dicethebluey
Tenderfoot
Tenderfoot

Postby dicethebluey » Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:55 pm

hi!! This is my little man Dice's cage set up! 40G tank, just recently cleaned it too! :D :welcome:
peaches
Tenderfoot
Tenderfoot

Postby peaches » Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:30 pm

hi there! im completely new to the bts (and even the reptile) community! i’m still waiting to get my substrate which will be a 2:1 mix of exoterra reptile bark and reptisoil, but i do have just about everything else that will go in my tank and i was hoping for some input!
C55D4C45-6140-4742-B2B3-751AC7213464.jpeg

this is what i think my setup will look like! i have a hot and cold hide that i’ll put some sphagnum moss in along with spreding that through the tank. i have two coarse rocks so my skink can file its nails and bask. i have the fake fern i thought just looked nice lol and theres also a little water bowl thats hard to see on the right in the ferns.
the light overhead is the zoo med 5.0 uvb and i have a 40 gal heat pad that i’ll put under the middle of the tank.
sorry to have posted so much but i really want to make my new little guy as comfy as possible so any thoughts or critiques are seriously welcomed!!!
mb606587

Postby mb606587 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:57 pm

I would swap the under tank heat pad for a second overhead fixture and heat bulb. IMO, they seem to prefer basking under overhead heat.
peaches
Tenderfoot
Tenderfoot

Postby peaches » Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:08 am

ohhh ok! do you have any specific brands you prefer mb606587?
mb606587

Postby mb606587 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:35 am

Na, you can use any number of brands. I use the ZooMed 75 watt basking bulbs. Just important to accurately measure your temperatures. I prefer and recommend the temperature guns, as do most people, for a quick accurate measurement of surface tenperatures in any area of your tank. You want to keep your basking spot at around 100-110 degrees, give or take. Your opposite side should be anywhere from 70-80ish. You may need to experiment with the wattage at first until you get it just right. Just keep your receipts and you should have no issues swapping bulbs out in a reasonable time frame if the temperatures aren't where you need them to be. And then finally observe your lizard. Some have no problems basking for hours on end at 115 degrees. Others prefer it a bit cooler and won't bask at higher temps. So depending on your lizards specific needs, you may also need to adjust.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”