Page 1 of 1

Blue tongue skink behaviour

Posted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:41 am
by MattBeard91
I have a 6/7 month old Irian Jaya bluey, bit of background, all temps are spot on, he eats well, he poos well, he's taming very slowly, will take food from me every time and will sometimes come out to see us.

What I'm querying is he'll be out and eat one day, bask and everything then he will bury and we won't see him til the next feed day. He does love burrowing but I just wondered is this normal? Eat one day and literally sleep til the next feed day?

Thanks

Re: Blue tongue skink behaviour

Posted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:40 am
by ErikaNicole
I wonder about that sometimes too. My BTS is a mutt, northern x IJ hybrid, and he does that too, bask, eat, poop and then sleep a lot. Other days he will be busy burrowing around, and then for a day or two we wont see him much. Temp and humidity is all good, but I have also been a little curious about the behavior. He seems to be healthy and happy. I take him out a couple times a week and let him explore, supervised of course and I think he really enjoys that and I think it helps to break up his "lazy time" haha. I'm still new to this hobby so i hope you get some good responses on this. I'm glad you asked!

Re: Blue tongue skink behaviour

Posted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 8:35 am
by Susann
Yup, totally normal.
When in a safe, comfortable environment, ground-dwelling/burrowing reptiles will often stay hidden until "forced" or enticed out by something more pressing (hunger, cold) or interesting activity/sound/smell.
Nothing to worry about. :D