Rack setups

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
skinks101
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 69
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2015 1:15 pm
Country:
Location: United States,Ohio

Rack setups

Postby skinks101 » Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:58 pm

Hi,
I wanted to ask how people like to setup their rack for blue tongues. Or even share tips on how you built the rack. I am in the process of building a rack and I just wanted an idea of how to build it.
Thank you! :D
1.1 Merauke Blue tongue
1.1 Ball pythons
1.1 Corn snakes
German shepherd, lab dog, Chickens, and cats.
krmike
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 35
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2015 7:31 pm
Country:
Location: Korea

Re: Rack setups

Postby krmike » Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:25 pm

I dont have a rack yet, but my friend is building me one. It uses v70 tubs from vision. There is heating film under one end, and the tops of the tubs are covered and ventilated with 25% holes on top. It is 10 tubs high.
I have opted to have each heating cable separate from one another so i can adjust the rack using multiple controllers if i need to. To start with they will all be plugged into the same controller. The controller i have chosen allows for 2 separate heating systems, so the tubs down lower will be controlled differently than the tubs up higher (heat rises....all controlled the same then the lower tubs may be too cold, and higher tubs too hot).

I have attached a pic of another one he has made.

This rack is costing me a pretty penny, but should be really nice.
rack.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
skinks101
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 69
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2015 1:15 pm
Country:
Location: United States,Ohio

Re: Rack setups

Postby skinks101 » Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:31 pm

That is a nice looking rack. :D
User avatar
Dakota
Snail Hunter
Snail Hunter
Posts: 5212
Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:30 pm
Your Facebook name: Dakota Nivens
Country: US

Re: Rack setups

Postby Dakota » Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:15 pm

I did have a rack set up for my adults, but got tired of the water spilling every time I opened it. Now I have the tubs laying around the reptile room in various places. I use CB-110 tubs. A lot of people use the 70's, but they are a little too small for my taste. I do have my babies in a large rack, though. The rack itself is made out of melamine.

The CB-110 tubs come with a 1/3rd opening lid that is very handy. I drill holes and put screws in the back 2/3rd of the lid, but only attach a lock to the opening 1/3rd of the lid.
"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man." — Charles Darwin
User avatar
Hammock
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 151
Joined: Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:54 am
Country:
Location: Tennessee USA

Re: Rack setups

Postby Hammock » Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:48 pm

I have some racks from a prominent rack builder. Bought several at one time, won't do that again. Tubs barley slide in and out always throwing the water out of the water bowls because you can't close them without extreme force. Nothing wrong with rack systems except this one, tubs are to darned tight. Tubs are advertised as certain size ( and your thinking plenty big enough for my BTS) but the advertised size is for the extreme outside top dimensions not the inside usuable square inches due to extreme slope on the sides. Your rack system looks very good. Care to tell us who the builder is I might try some.
krmike
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 35
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2015 7:31 pm
Country:
Location: Korea

Re: Rack setups

Postby krmike » Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:28 am

Ahh, sorry this builder is here in Korea. He does it just for fun, basically. He based his design pretty closely off the ARS rack systems and uses the V70 vision tubs. I have heard great things about ARS racks. I would look into them. I would order from them...but shipping to korea is almost the same price as the racks themselves XD
User avatar
ETNJ
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 30
Joined: Wed Oct 07, 2015 3:34 pm
Country: USA
Location: NJ

Re: Rack setups

Postby ETNJ » Sun Jan 10, 2016 7:48 pm

I did a variant of this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_Lnu_pHIpI Technically, its not building a rack from scratch, but its cheap and works well. I got a bit of a bigger size than the one in the video, but same concept. Casters can be put on the bottoms too.
1.0.3 Tiliqua scincoides intermedia
0.0.1 Hemisphaeriodon gerrardii

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 255 guests