Page 1 of 1

Zoo Med Wood Tortoise House

Posted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 5:28 pm
by Eidechse
Does anyone use one of those for their skink? Do they feel that their skink benefits from outdoors time? I'm on the fence about it since the outdoors (even in the summer) are less stable than the indoor environment. I've had some bad luck in the past with pets outside such as loosing a guinea pig to a bee sting (had a immediate and deadly allergic reaction).

Re: Zoo Med Wood Tortoise House

Posted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 1:03 am
by Lea
Hi, sorry you didn't get a reply to this yet, must have got missed.

I don't have the enclosure you mentioned, but I do keep all my skinks outside, except the hospital tanks and they do really well. The enclosure is sheltered from wind and harsh weather, with plenty of hides and with th position of planting I have, approximately 50% shade and 50% sun through most of the day, so plenty of opportunity to bask or escape the heat.

It's quite a lot to think about when setting up to make sure you provide plenty of shelter etc, but once established, easy to maintain and my skinks are all very active and look 'happy' and engaged in their surroundings. There's not a lot of studies into benefits for their mental health, but as it does in people, sunshine and natural light elevates mood and helps with general feeling of wellbeing. I believe this to be true with my animals, whether I can prove it, or not. :D

Re: Zoo Med Wood Tortoise House

Posted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 4:00 pm
by Eidechse
The cage is a simple wooden box with a built-in hide on one side and a screened in top with wood walls for the rest of it. I ordered it while it was on sale some days before I got a reply to the post. Hopefully Indigo likes it. I will see next summer. Thanks :)