Grumpy baby. Help.
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
-
fishhwitch
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 7
- Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2015 1:24 pm
- Country:
- Location: Michigan
Grumpy baby. Help.
I am getting my bluey very soon when he is ready for sale at my work,
He's a hissy, huffy little baby (can easily fit in my hand) and I'm
Just wondering if this will go away with time and handling...I'm just nervous
And overly cautious. What's the best way to start handling after he's settled in?
Do they get less grumpy as they grow?
He's a hissy, huffy little baby (can easily fit in my hand) and I'm
Just wondering if this will go away with time and handling...I'm just nervous
And overly cautious. What's the best way to start handling after he's settled in?
Do they get less grumpy as they grow?
- Scotts1au
- Great Scott

- Posts: 4362
- Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:19 am
- Country:
- Location: Central Victoria, Australia
Re: Grumpy baby. Help.
In most cases this is just a matter of time, although they have their own personalities and some will be more docile than others. In general I find that blueys accept their surroundings pretty well. To the extent that a bluey picked up out of the wild will often be able to held quite easily within a few minutes, but even a captive bred one, in a naturalistic environment will quickly revert to hissing and even displaying if put into a naturalistic outdoor enclosure.
It is nothing personal :-) but they are instinctive animals - and in their mind you are a big hairy predator. Everyone will have their own opinions - you'll find many threads on similar issues on this site from doing a search.
It is nothing personal :-) but they are instinctive animals - and in their mind you are a big hairy predator. Everyone will have their own opinions - you'll find many threads on similar issues on this site from doing a search.
If you wait, all that happens is that you get older. M. Andretti
-
fishhwitch
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 7
- Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2015 1:24 pm
- Country:
- Location: Michigan
Re: Grumpy baby. Help.
Ok,
I have been able to handle him. He huffs a lot in his tank but calms a little while in your hands. I guess I'm just nervous! Ha..he is quite little and young..i just need to be patient 
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-
starscream3232
- SuperNerd

- Posts: 281
- Joined: Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:47 pm
- Country:
- Location: Rhode Island, USA
Re: Grumpy baby. Help.
Babies are typically very skittish. Best thing is to let them settle in for a few weeks once home. Keep interaction minimal durning that time. Do you know what species you're getting?
Greg
10.9.5 T.s. Intermedia Northern Blue Tongue Skink
1.0 T.s.s. NSW Eastern Blue Tongue Skink
3.2.7 H. gerrardii Pink tongued skink
1.1 T. nigrolutea Blotched blue tongue
0.0.1 T. Gigas evanescens merauke blue tongue
https://m.facebook.com/ribluetonguesskinks/
10.9.5 T.s. Intermedia Northern Blue Tongue Skink
1.0 T.s.s. NSW Eastern Blue Tongue Skink
3.2.7 H. gerrardii Pink tongued skink
1.1 T. nigrolutea Blotched blue tongue
0.0.1 T. Gigas evanescens merauke blue tongue
https://m.facebook.com/ribluetonguesskinks/
- donkeybuff
- Coffee Connoisseur

- Posts: 1592
- Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:56 pm
- Country: USA
- Location: California
Re: Grumpy baby. Help.
Looks Merauke to me. Take it easy, he'll come around with time!
Sachin
1.0 Indonesian
1.0 Northern
1.0 Indonesian
1.0 Northern
- Dakota
- Snail Hunter

- Posts: 5212
- Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:30 pm
- Your Facebook name: Dakota Nivens
- Country: US
Re: Grumpy baby. Help.
I'm thinking dark variety Irian Jaya. Will need to see more photos to be sure; it could be a thick-banded Merauke. 
Good luck! You sure did pick up a nice looking bubba!
Good luck! You sure did pick up a nice looking bubba!
"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man." — Charles Darwin
- Scotts1au
- Great Scott

- Posts: 4362
- Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:19 am
- Country:
- Location: Central Victoria, Australia
- Susann
- ADMIN

- Posts: 4022
- Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:06 pm
- Country: USA
- Location: Utah
Re: Grumpy baby. Help.
I know the webbing and arms say Indo, but nothing about the body does.
Breeder and keeper of Meraukes from 2010 to 2022.
- splashy07
- ADMIN

- Posts: 3191
- Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:24 am
- Country: USA
- Location: Farmingdale,LI,NY
Re: Grumpy baby. Help.
Looks IJ?? Whatever he is he's adorable and best of luck with him. I agree with letting him settle in for a bit before interaction. IJ's, Meraukes and most of the Gigas types are mostly recent imports and may be a bit skittish at first, as even a captive born/bred baby can be. They're little and we are big, can be scary to them! Again, all the best, he is SO cute!
-
fishhwitch
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 7
- Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2015 1:24 pm
- Country:
- Location: Michigan
Re: Grumpy baby. Help.
Thank you everyone!! And I'm not sure 100 percent...like I said in a newbie, figuring out the deffferences between each is difficult to me. I can take more photos when I'm back. I'm so excited
he's fiesty and eating well and that alone makes me feel way better about all his sass ha
-
skinks101
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 69
- Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2015 1:15 pm
- Country:
- Location: United States,Ohio
Re: Grumpy baby. Help.
Hi, When I got my blue tongue skink he was very grumpy and the people I got him from did not handle him. What I did was I took him out every day a held him. Then as he knew me more then I hand fed him. I think the hand feeding and handling him really helped. 
1.1 Merauke Blue tongue
1.1 Ball pythons
1.1 Corn snakes
German shepherd, lab dog, Chickens, and cats.
1.1 Ball pythons
1.1 Corn snakes
German shepherd, lab dog, Chickens, and cats.
- Susann
- ADMIN

- Posts: 4022
- Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:06 pm
- Country: USA
- Location: Utah
Re: Grumpy baby. Help.
We may be able to give you better guesses as to the type he is if you take pictures from straight up above, as close to him as possible while still including the entire lizard, from tip of nose to tip of tail.
As you bring him home, I would recommend you put him in the fully set up tank and then leave him alone for at least a couple weeks. Since he's a tiny baby I would also suggest you not put in so much substrate that he can bury himself in it --I would rather you supply him with many hides throughout the tank instead where you can see enough of him to know he is breathing and moving; this way you will not need to dig him out in order to know that he is OK. You can make inexpensive hides by cutting up cereal boxes, plastic containers, fountain drink cups, or drape safe silk plants or vines (ones where he can't pull off leaves that can be swallowed) along the ground, etc. Also get an infrared temp gun so you can keep getting accurate readings of the temperatures in the entire tank, as well as the exact spots he is in.
Then leave him be.
Put his plates of food in front of whatever spot he's in right then, and then step away. Remove the plate at the end of the day. Make sure there's clean water at all times in an easily accessible bowl or plate. And make sure he has places where he can feel secure throughout the different temperature zones throughout the tank, but where you can still know where he is at, so you don't need to disturb him any more than necessary; this way he can move to whichever spot has the temperature he needs.
After a few weeks you can start picking him up whenever you see him moving about in the tank.
As you bring him home, I would recommend you put him in the fully set up tank and then leave him alone for at least a couple weeks. Since he's a tiny baby I would also suggest you not put in so much substrate that he can bury himself in it --I would rather you supply him with many hides throughout the tank instead where you can see enough of him to know he is breathing and moving; this way you will not need to dig him out in order to know that he is OK. You can make inexpensive hides by cutting up cereal boxes, plastic containers, fountain drink cups, or drape safe silk plants or vines (ones where he can't pull off leaves that can be swallowed) along the ground, etc. Also get an infrared temp gun so you can keep getting accurate readings of the temperatures in the entire tank, as well as the exact spots he is in.
Then leave him be.
Put his plates of food in front of whatever spot he's in right then, and then step away. Remove the plate at the end of the day. Make sure there's clean water at all times in an easily accessible bowl or plate. And make sure he has places where he can feel secure throughout the different temperature zones throughout the tank, but where you can still know where he is at, so you don't need to disturb him any more than necessary; this way he can move to whichever spot has the temperature he needs.
After a few weeks you can start picking him up whenever you see him moving about in the tank.
Breeder and keeper of Meraukes from 2010 to 2022.
- Scotts1au
- Great Scott

- Posts: 4362
- Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:19 am
- Country:
- Location: Central Victoria, Australia
Re: Grumpy baby. Help.
I meant Indo?, but yeah I can see why people are saying IJ.
If you wait, all that happens is that you get older. M. Andretti
-
fishhwitch
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 7
- Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2015 1:24 pm
- Country:
- Location: Michigan
Re: Grumpy baby. Help.
Thanks
that definitely sounds like a food plan! His tanks been set up for a long time now. I also already have a temp gun since I use it for a lot of my other animals and fish tanks..ha I'm gonna scour around for some more potential hides and ad them in. and I post another pic when I'm in again.
-
fishhwitch
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 7
- Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2015 1:24 pm
- Country:
- Location: Michigan
Re: Grumpy baby. Help.
This is just another random pic. I'll post a more detailed one when I'm back at my work place lol
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 140 guests
