Page 1 of 1

The "mystery illness"

Posted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 7:46 am
by Dood
I need some advice on the gigas "mystery illness"

Someone in my area has a skink that possibly has the disorder and is looking for someone to take on the skinks care.

I have the time and money but I also have 2, soon to be 3 Northerns and a Northern hybrid and my question is do i need to worry about them catching it?

I feel sorry for the Indo but I don't want to endanger my current animals

Re: The "mystery illness"

Posted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 12:47 pm
by Susann
I'll post this here too :wink: so others can see:
In my opinion, if it is MI, you don't need to worry. It has never been proven to be bacterial or viral, nor ever seen to be passed on from skink to skink. It seems to simply be something that certain individuals (of Indonesian species) are more susceptible to than others. It seems to be highly humidity related, but I've had skinks live right next to each other with the same conditions, one will get/have it, the rest don't.

Re: The "mystery illness"

Posted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 1:31 pm
by Dakota
But I wouldn't chalk it up to being MI. Vera came to me with every sign of "MI", but went away with good care and some antibiotics and ointment. I don't believe she had "MI" after all, but rather a RI under not so great care. I believe this because what she had passed over to Riley. Good luck.

Re: The "mystery illness"

Posted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 12:05 am
by Susann
I will reiterate my stance on never bringing in an animal, even in absolute perfect health, and adding it to your collection of animals without quarantining it first. Ever. When it's an obviously ill animal, regardless of what you think it has, or doesn't have, you absolutely must keep it completely separate from your previous animals; in my opinion, the absolute minimum would be 3 months, but I would seriously consider at least 6 months.

Animals with M.I. often struggle with bouts for a long time, which leaves them weakened and more susceptible to other additional ailments, which then can be passed on to other animals. Even healthy looking animals can be carriers of all kind of bacteria, viruses, protozoa, and parasites, so in my opinion, there is no such thing as "too careful" when it comes to bringing new reptiles home.