I need some advice on the gigas "mystery illness"
Someone in my area has a skink that possibly has the disorder and is looking for someone to take on the skinks care.
I have the time and money but I also have 2, soon to be 3 Northerns and a Northern hybrid and my question is do i need to worry about them catching it?
I feel sorry for the Indo but I don't want to endanger my current animals
The "mystery illness"
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
-
Dood
- Bluey Follower

- Posts: 434
- Joined: Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:29 am
- Country:
- Location: Ontario Canada
- Susann
- ADMIN

- Posts: 4022
- Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:06 pm
- Country: USA
- Location: Utah
Re: The "mystery illness"
I'll post this here too
so others can see:
In my opinion, if it is MI, you don't need to worry. It has never been proven to be bacterial or viral, nor ever seen to be passed on from skink to skink. It seems to simply be something that certain individuals (of Indonesian species) are more susceptible to than others. It seems to be highly humidity related, but I've had skinks live right next to each other with the same conditions, one will get/have it, the rest don't.
In my opinion, if it is MI, you don't need to worry. It has never been proven to be bacterial or viral, nor ever seen to be passed on from skink to skink. It seems to simply be something that certain individuals (of Indonesian species) are more susceptible to than others. It seems to be highly humidity related, but I've had skinks live right next to each other with the same conditions, one will get/have it, the rest don't.
Breeder and keeper of Meraukes from 2010 to 2022.
- Dakota
- Snail Hunter

- Posts: 5212
- Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:30 pm
- Your Facebook name: Dakota Nivens
- Country: US
Re: The "mystery illness"
But I wouldn't chalk it up to being MI. Vera came to me with every sign of "MI", but went away with good care and some antibiotics and ointment. I don't believe she had "MI" after all, but rather a RI under not so great care. I believe this because what she had passed over to Riley. Good luck.
"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man." — Charles Darwin
- Susann
- ADMIN

- Posts: 4022
- Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:06 pm
- Country: USA
- Location: Utah
Re: The "mystery illness"
I will reiterate my stance on never bringing in an animal, even in absolute perfect health, and adding it to your collection of animals without quarantining it first. Ever. When it's an obviously ill animal, regardless of what you think it has, or doesn't have, you absolutely must keep it completely separate from your previous animals; in my opinion, the absolute minimum would be 3 months, but I would seriously consider at least 6 months.
Animals with M.I. often struggle with bouts for a long time, which leaves them weakened and more susceptible to other additional ailments, which then can be passed on to other animals. Even healthy looking animals can be carriers of all kind of bacteria, viruses, protozoa, and parasites, so in my opinion, there is no such thing as "too careful" when it comes to bringing new reptiles home.
Animals with M.I. often struggle with bouts for a long time, which leaves them weakened and more susceptible to other additional ailments, which then can be passed on to other animals. Even healthy looking animals can be carriers of all kind of bacteria, viruses, protozoa, and parasites, so in my opinion, there is no such thing as "too careful" when it comes to bringing new reptiles home.
Breeder and keeper of Meraukes from 2010 to 2022.
Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 211 guests
