Page 1 of 1

Wood Mites

Posted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:48 am
by Snowysmom
After doing research and speaking to others, I am sure I have wood mites in Snowy's cage. What is the best course of action to keep them from infesting my whole room or whole house for that matter? As soon as she sheds, I will clean her cage and freeze anything in it and freeze new substrate. Thanks.

Re: Wood Mites

Posted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:58 pm
by Susann
As far as I understand, the wood mites don't spread past the place where you have substrate (or other wood or bark that is kept somewhat moist). So after cleaning and freezing, you should be fine.

Re: Wood Mites

Posted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 5:22 am
by splashy07
They're harmless. They have been living in my community tank forever, and will not move past a moist area. They quickly dry up if the substrate does, and are not a threat to your reptiles. These mites do not like smooth and dry, and that's what your skinks are! Freezing may not kill their eggs if you are concerned about them, but I wouldn't be.

Re: Wood Mites

Posted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 6:05 am
by Snowysmom
Thanks for the help. I keep being told that freezing won't kill any mites, that they go dormant. I thought they would die. I cannot bake 75 quarts of substrate. I guess they'll go away ,but it will take time? I'm glad that they won't invade my home though. If I bake the cork bark hides, what do I set the temperature at and how long do I bake? Thanks.