Page 1 of 1

HELP I think he's choking

Posted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 5:55 pm
by j_silv
hey I just fed my bluet mars his usual food, its a mix of greens, veggies and earthworms. He ate the worms first, as usual, but then stopped. he started opening his mouth really wide and moving his tongue around in his mouth. He did this three times. and the second time i think i saw the worm come up a bit, but he swallowed it again. As I'm typing this he ate a little more but then stopped again. I did feed him some new stuff today, including little cubes of squash. is it possible one of those was to big? he doesn't seem to be struggling and went back in his hide.

Should I be worried?!

Re: HELP I think he's choking

Posted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 6:01 pm
by j_silv
he ate a bit more and buried himself under his basking rock (his favorite place)

Re: HELP I think he's choking

Posted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:24 am
by splashy07
Mine do that quite often when they eat insects. Never any ongoing negative issues.

Re: HELP I think he's choking

Posted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 5:32 pm
by El Lobo
I've seen the regurgitation with roaches as well.

When feeding hard vegetables like squash I've found grating rather than dicing to make the food easier for the BTS to swallow.

Re: HELP I think he's choking

Posted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 5:39 pm
by Richard.C
Also what you might have been seeing is him/her filling the gullet before then trying to swallow it,they sometimes do this and wriggle abit to help get it down,commonly seen to when they drink a fair amount

Re: HELP I think he's choking

Posted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 6:11 pm
by j_silv
Thanks for the info! Glad its normal :)