Show me your BTS's favorite place to sleep please!

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
scrab
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Show me your BTS's favorite place to sleep please!

Postby scrab » Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:46 am

So my lovely spoiled 1 year old Halmahera, Frank, is super reluctant to sleep in his tank :doh: and scratches at the glass until I let him out so he can go straight to his favorite pile of blankets to sleep. His tank is a 40 Breeder sadly, there isn't enough space for multiple hides. So i'm planning on building him an awesome spacious wooden terrarium.

In the mean time, I would like to see what hides others have had success with :) I'd also like to see their favorite places to sleep OUTSIDE of the tank, Any and all ideas would be appreciated!
NickBrahz
The Undecider
The Undecider

Re: Show me your BTS's favorite place to sleep please!

Postby NickBrahz » Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:32 am

One of my Eastern's is a similar sooky la la, he scratched to get let out and if i put him on my bed he will go sleep under pillow if i put him on floor he will fight a shirt or something to sleep in.

Though he is kept in a 120cm x 50cm enclosure so he has a few hides, adding a t-shirt in his enclosure has made him want to get out less and most nights all 3 of my skinks sleep in the shirts in the enclosures.
mdeford09
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby mdeford09 » Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:33 am

mine has two favorite places.

First is on my side while I am sitting.. She will snuggle up between my side and my arm and sleep as long as I let her.

Second is inside my sons race car rug that is rolled up.

scrab
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby scrab » Mon Jul 20, 2015 6:25 pm

NickBrahz wrote:Though he is kept in a 120cm x 50cm enclosure so he has a few hides, adding a t-shirt in his enclosure has made him want to get out less and most nights all 3 of my skinks sleep in the shirts in the enclosures.

Are the shirts clean or used? I've always wanted to leave an article of used clothing in the tank to try to make Frank associate my smell with comfort! I'll be sure to try it out and see if he's interested :mrgreen:
scrab
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby scrab » Mon Jul 20, 2015 6:28 pm

mdeford09 wrote:mine has two favorite places.

First is on my side while I am sitting.. She will snuggle up between my side and my arm and sleep as long as I let her.

Second is inside my sons race car rug that is rolled up.

Wow That's adorable I'm super jealous!!! Mine never wants to snuggle next to me :(
NickBrahz
The Undecider
The Undecider

Postby NickBrahz » Mon Jul 20, 2015 6:30 pm

The shirts are worn for a few hours i wash them when i clean out the enclosure and wear them for a few more hours before putting in, a couple others are trying the same thing my bluey's never try to run away or bite me or anything could just be a coincidence though.
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:49 am

Awwww! Yes, mine do that too!
mdeford09
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby mdeford09 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:26 am

scrab wrote:Wow That's adorable I'm super jealous!!! Mine never wants to snuggle next to me :(

Yeah, I am very thankful I got this little girl. She is super nice and sweet. Even better is that she is super smart. Within a few days of training her that I am safe, she got it and is perfectly fine with me now. (still trying to get her complete ok with my 3 year old son though. But, I think that one will take a bit of time from him growing up)

I have found they are very food oriented. teach them that you bring the food and where food can be expected (like on your lap) and they will become content on hanging out there and will eventually lead to them sleeping on you. :)
K.lib
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby K.lib » Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:30 am

My BTS is new but lil Pluto loves sleeping while burrowed in aspen or under her logs
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
william5
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby william5 » Tue Jan 31, 2023 6:30 am

scrab wrote:So my lovely spoiled 1 year old Halmahera, Frank, is super reluctant to sleep in his tank :doh: and scratches at the glass until I let him out so he can go straight to his favorite pile of blankets to sleep. His tank is a 40 Breeder sadly, there isn't enough space for multiple hides. So i'm planning on building him an awesome spacious wooden terrarium.

In the mean time, I would like to see what hides others have had success with :) I'd also like to see their favorite places to sleep OUTSIDE of the tank and where I can buy them, I want Frank to have a sleep, as good as what I get when I am sleeping in my bed. Any and all ideas would be appreciated!

Hi Scrab! I'm sorry to hear that Frank isn't too keen on sleeping in his tank. It sounds like you're planning on building him a wonderful wooden terrarium, which is great! In the meantime, though, I'm sure you can find a hide that he will like in his tank. Some skinks love to sleep in hides like plastic flowerpots with a hole cut in the side, or igloo-shaped hides. You can also get creative and make a hide out of cardboard, or even a hollowed-out log.

In terms of favorite places to sleep outside of the tank, it really depends on the skink. Some like to sleep in piles of blankets, as it is warm and snuggly. Others might like to sleep in a cardboard box, or in a hammock or pouch hung in the tank. It really just depends on what your skink likes!

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”