Page 1 of 1

Blue Tongued Skink Not Active

Posted: Sat May 09, 2015 10:51 am
by finnyskink
After I slightly rearranged Finny's tank (I just added a shoebox, removed a large stick, and moved the feeding dish), she's being less active. In the morning, she's awake (I hear her sticking her tongue out and smelling, and she might change her position), but now she won't come out from under the shoebox. I haven't seen her bask or explore since then... :( I will say though, while I was moving the stuff, she was walking around the enclosure and exploring. Now she won't move out from under her new hiding spot.

Update: I lured her out with some cat food on a spoon. She gladly ate it, but once she was done eating she went right back to hiding in her shoebox...

Re: Blue Tongued Skink Not Active

Posted: Sat May 09, 2015 11:56 am
by Susann
If the shoebox is in a warmer spot than the place where she was previously hiding (or, did she not have a hide before?) maybe she's just more comfortable now and doesn't need to come out to warm up as much (...or cool down if her previous hide was in a warmer spot...). How long have you had her, and how long since you rearranged?

Re: Blue Tongued Skink Not Active

Posted: Sat May 09, 2015 3:54 pm
by finnyskink
Susann wrote:If the shoebox is in a warmer spot than the place where she was previously hiding (or, did she not have a hide before?) maybe she's just more comfortable now and doesn't need to come out to warm up as much (...or cool down if her previous hide was in a warmer spot...). How long have you had her, and how long since you rearranged?

She didn't have a hide in that corner before, but she used to burrow in the same spot. We've had her for about 2 weeks, only 3 days since I rearranged. I think that's the problem, I moved things before she was totally used to the old setup to begin with.

Re: Blue Tongued Skink Not Active

Posted: Sat May 09, 2015 3:56 pm
by finnyskink
finnyskink wrote:
Susann wrote:If the shoebox is in a warmer spot than the place where she was previously hiding (or, did she not have a hide before?) maybe she's just more comfortable now and doesn't need to come out to warm up as much (...or cool down if her previous hide was in a warmer spot...). How long have you had her, and how long since you rearranged?

She didn't have a hide in that corner before, but she used to burrow in the same spot. We've had her for about 2 weeks, only 3 days since I rearranged. I think that's the problem, I moved things before she was totally used to the old setup to begin with. I checked on her earlier, she was walking around and basking. She's burrowed near the water dish with her head sticking out now, so she is active :)