Just got my Irian Jaya, now how to handle?
Posted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:53 pm
Recently got my first blue tongue off of craigslist. He seems to be a little small (roughly 16-17in) for his age (6 years) but otherwise in good health.
Now, the previous owner was selling him because they didn't have the time to handle him very often. So when I go to take him (Thunder) out of his tank, he is never aggressive, but he doesn't exactly seem to enjoy being held. Will this change with time? What are some good ways to help him feel more comfortable around me?
My other question now is how to help the shedding process. Some of the scales on the top of his head are just starting to get that creamy color. the first few have come off of his nose but from what I understand it should come off more in a sheet. Could probably be helped by keeping humidity up, but I'm finding this to be a challenge with having such a warm basking are.
Any advise greatly appreciated!
Including a picture of him from sunday (4/26)
Now, the previous owner was selling him because they didn't have the time to handle him very often. So when I go to take him (Thunder) out of his tank, he is never aggressive, but he doesn't exactly seem to enjoy being held. Will this change with time? What are some good ways to help him feel more comfortable around me?
My other question now is how to help the shedding process. Some of the scales on the top of his head are just starting to get that creamy color. the first few have come off of his nose but from what I understand it should come off more in a sheet. Could probably be helped by keeping humidity up, but I'm finding this to be a challenge with having such a warm basking are.
Any advise greatly appreciated!
Including a picture of him from sunday (4/26)