Page 1 of 1
Our first shed!!! AND bonus mites (pic heavy)
Posted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:26 am
by alichamp
I posted this on another thread:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=28078alichamp wrote:A few days ago we noticed that he went really dull/ dark in colour, seemed to lose the colour on his head and a bit cloudy and less definition in patterns on her underside. Of course, we thought he would be shedding soon and assume these are the signs of shed.
A couple of days later tho I noticed just a couple little white spots on him. Thought a bit odd and wondered about mites
Well, it turns out I was right twice! Started treatment for mites following guidance from a bunch of other threads. Treasure's enclosure is looking a bit sad now very plain on newspaper.
But the next day he started to shed too!
Is there anything on top of the usual that I should do with either mites or shed as they are happening at the same time. Will one affect the other?
Lots of pics, but it was very exciting for me and thought others might enjoy them who haven't seen a shed yet.
Re: Our first shed!!! AND bonus mites (pic heavy)
Posted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 4:53 am
by Richard.C
They often shed when infested with mites,possibly an attempt to rid them selves or just coincidence with timing,no need to change anything with treatment though
Re: Our first shed!!! AND bonus mites (pic heavy)
Posted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 4:58 am
by Scotts1au
What makes u think that the bluey has mites?
Re: Our first shed!!! AND bonus mites (pic heavy)
Posted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 6:14 am
by alichamp
Scotts1au wrote:What makes u think that the bluey has mites?
I saw the little white spots on him - started with a couple on his head and then a few more along his back - and after a couple of days saw one little black bug thingy crawling around his eye. It was a surprise to say the least as I'd had him for 6 weeks already. Oh well, it happens. Glad to have caught it and started treatment before infestation got bad.
(More posts about it here
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=28092)
Re: Our first shed!!! AND bonus mites (pic heavy)
Posted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:27 pm
by MattFab
Great to see the little guy battling through it, mites has got to be so annoying. I am about ready for the second treatment for my little guys as well, lets hope they are gone for good !
Re: Our first shed!!! AND bonus mites (pic heavy)
Posted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:51 pm
by NickBrahz
Yeah when they shed and especially the first time it is always exciting to see those fresh bright colours come out, i do have to ask whats happening to the little fellow with that green toy thing though Ali haha been curious, im guessing it was lizard playtime for your daughter?
Re: Our first shed!!! AND bonus mites (pic heavy)
Posted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:38 pm
by alichamp
Haha that's right Nick! Treasure was piggy-backing one of those rubber stretchy lizards. Have to say it did look pretty funny at the time. (Don't worry he is not really that harassed that often!) How are all your guys going?
Thanks Matt, how are your shingles going with the mite situation? Did the mites get to your other skinks too?
Re: Our first shed!!! AND bonus mites (pic heavy)
Posted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:41 pm
by alichamp
Richard.C wrote:They often shed when infested with mites,possibly an attempt to rid them selves or just coincidence with timing,no need to change anything with treatment though
Good to know Richard. Thanks.
Re: Our first shed!!! AND bonus mites (pic heavy)
Posted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 2:08 am
by NickBrahz
alichamp wrote:Haha that's right Nick! Treasure was piggy-backing one of those rubber stretchy lizards. Have to say it did look pretty funny at the time. (Don't worry he is not really that harassed that often!) How are all your guys going?
I heard they are going well, I'm up in QLD currently visiting family, i miss my babies first time i have been away from them for longer then a few ours or a day!
Re: Our first shed!!! AND bonus mites (pic heavy)
Posted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 2:12 am
by MattFab
The Shinglebacks are great, they both have very different personalities which has been entertaining. The Mites get their second treatment tomorrow and then only 1 more week on newspaper and I can finally make their setup look great and a lot more fun for them as well, thanks for asking! O the mites did not spread, thankfully, I dont go overboard on handling so since I only had them for maybe 2 days before I notced the mites they didnt get very far (fingers crossed lol)
Re: Our first shed!!! AND bonus mites (pic heavy)
Posted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 4:54 am
by alichamp
Good to hear Matt. We are sporting the bare tank with newspaper look too. Such a great feature in the lounge room!
Ahh, Nick I was wondering how things are over at club bluey, I noticed you have been a bit more off line of late. Hope you will be reunited with the little ones soon.
Re: Our first shed!!! AND bonus mites (pic heavy)
Posted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 1:57 pm
by NickBrahz
Yeah i go back to the little munchkins in a week or so until then i've been stealing the cats here while im away from my babies
Re: Our first shed!!! AND bonus mites (pic heavy)
Posted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:26 pm
by alichamp
Well after 5 days the shed didn't seem to be progressing much do we gave him some help today. A soak (he didn't like it), some olive oil and some time consuming gentle rubbing and pulling and we got all shed off body including toes and tip of tail. Have left the skin on the head so he still has the helmet to come off. Surprisingly, he kept very still for all the time it took, especially around the toes so he must have thought it went ok. I hope we did the right things intervening.
Do you think it's safe to keep some of the skin, even though he had mites? My daughter wants to take for show and tell. He and cage haad gone through 2 reptile sprays before the skin came off and I could spray the skin with fly spray.
Thoughts???