Page 1 of 1

New Skink in the house~

Posted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:10 pm
by iamseraplz
Hi! I'm Sera! Long time BTS fan, new BTS owner!

Basically I'd been watching this guy rot away in a display at a local Petco for almost six months, and when I went in last Friday I caved and brought him home. Right now he's in a 20 gallon tank, waiting for next Wednesday when his 40B tank will be ready for him, and he seems pretty happy. Probably because I'm feeding him more than just mealworms (that was all Petco had been feeding him, apparently. The employees didn't believe me when I mentioned dog food and veggies), and I helped him get off a good deal of stuck shed.

Anyway, yeah! Here's Pancake!

Image

Image

I'm trying to figure out exactly what variety of BTS he is, because the pet store had no idea. They insisted that he's captive bred, though.

Re: New Skink in the house~

Posted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:19 pm
by wermy
I'm gonna guess Merauke. He looks pretty good for having a diet of mealworms only, but a little skinny. Feed him up :)

Re: New Skink in the house~

Posted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:26 pm
by iamseraplz
Yeah, I was thinking he looks like a Merauke. Hard to really know for sure, though.

And I am feeding him lots. He is a very eager eater. It took him a minute to figure out what the food I put in his tank was, but since then he's pretty much raced out of his hide whenever I open the cage up, hoping for more food.

Re: New Skink in the house~

Posted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:13 am
by Snowysmom
Good for you for saving him. I did the same with my girl. Are you sure he is 6 months? Looks on the small side too. I'm sure great food and care will make him flourish like it did for mine.

Re: New Skink in the house~

Posted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:44 am
by splashy07
Possibly 6 months of bad nutrition, and definitely not captive bred in this country. Don't think a breeder with success in the Indonesian line would sell to Petco. Kudos to you for the rescue, and yes, looks Merauke. Dakota? What do you think?

Re: New Skink in the house~

Posted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:26 am
by iamseraplz
Well, I've been eyeing him since around Thanksgiving, so he is at least five months, probably a little older. And I did seriously doubt their captive bred claims. Petco is notorious for lying about that stuff.

Re: New Skink in the house~

Posted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 12:15 pm
by Snowysmom
Petco said the same to me. Didn't buy it for a second. I'm just glad I got Snowy when she was a baby, so she didn't have to spend more than a week without quality care.