Okay, I'm a very new owner and although i have read the full caresheet several times, bear with me a bit.
My little bluey is beginning his shed.
General info, he is four months old, male, Merauke (in case this is somehow helpful).
Nothing is really wrong thus far, but a certain spot where it's really starting to peel up is near his eyelid. Now, I read all about toes and ears and such and how you may want to gently help them out if it's not coming off. I don't think I need to do anything just yet, of course. But he is clearly kind of bothered by this itchy spot, and has been rubbing on things in attempt to loosen it; his hide, his basking rock, the walls, ect. My only concern is that he will rub too hard/not be as careful as he should be and damage his actual eye? Should I be concerned or offer anything to help? Should I try helping get it off or provide something a little safer to rub on? It's probably fine.. but he is scratching on it awfully rough sometimes.
I want to avoid injury for him as much as possible while still having him be comfortable. If there's anything I should do I'd love to know how to help.
Shedding concern
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
-
DimetroDork
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 56
- Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2015 12:00 am
- Country:
- Location: Eugene, Oregon
- MattFab
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 71
- Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:39 pm
- Country:
- Location: Melbourne
Re: Shedding concern
This exact thing just happened to me with my 4 year old blotchy after starting a difficult shed. One eye cleared up quick but the other started to really cause him severe problems. I eventually softened up the skin with a wet cotton bud around the eye and folded it back to get it out of his eye ball a few days in a row until the rest of the skin had loosened up a bit and I was able to peel it back and remove the area that was causing him big issues. Mine got pretty bad aesthetically but this is not a super common problem with blueys that I have encountered. It seemed to occur as the skin on his eyelid came loose before the rest of the skin on his head was ready
- Susann
- ADMIN

- Posts: 4022
- Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:06 pm
- Country: USA
- Location: Utah
Re: Shedding concern
Could we maybe see a picture? The only time I've had skinks rubbing their eye(s) have been when something I call "mystery illness" has been involved --and humidity has always been too low when the eyes get itchy.
Breeder and keeper of Meraukes from 2010 to 2022.
- Zummy
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 62
- Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:00 am
- Country:
Re: Shedding concern
This sounds (Potentially) like the problem we've been having. Please see my post here:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=28111
I've posted pictures. We believe it may have started due to a humidity problem. Would very much welcome a reply either here or on my post. Looking for help...thanks.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=28111
I've posted pictures. We believe it may have started due to a humidity problem. Would very much welcome a reply either here or on my post. Looking for help...thanks.
Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 370 guests
