Page 1 of 1

BTS rack questions? (newbie here)

Posted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:27 pm
by iamthegame06
hi guys! I'm new here! I don't own a BTS yet, but i've been doing my research for months, and i think I'm ready to own one..first off, a little background about myself, i'm not that new to exotic pets/reptiles..I've owned a lot of exotic pets since i was a kid (from snakes to geckos, iguanas etc.) and for the last 4 years or so i've been focused solely on breeding tarantulas..I've always wanted to get skinks but i cant ever find a northern BTS..anyway, i want to build/buy a rack before i get a BTS..I've never used a rack before, i never had to..back then i would use heat mats on my snakes terrarium but this time i want to get a rack (because terrariums takes so much space and knowing myself, I'm going to end up getting more than 1 BTS eventually lol)..I've read that it's not a good idea to have a rack on a carpeted floor though, and thats one of my problem, our whole house (except for the bathroom and kitchen) is carpeted! is it really all that dangerous? i want to be safe, i definitely wouldn't want to burn our house down lol my other option is the garage which i have converted to a tarantula room..i live in CA so the garage is the perfect place for tarantulas, during winter i raise up the temps a little bit in the garage but I don't change the temps at all for the rest of the year..I'm not sure if the garage would be good for BTS though..I've also read that it's important for skinks to differentiate morning and night, so i might need to get some timers for lights, are those safe as well? what are the chances of a rack failing and causing fire? which is safer; heat tape or heat cables (i will be using thermostat)? if you guys have any tips on how to be safe when using racks please let me know..I'd really love to hear your opinion(s) thanks guys!

Re: BTS rack questions? (newbie here)

Posted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:32 pm
by NickBrahz
Im not sure about racks i personally use terrariums, as for the carpet issue i imagine putting down some wood first would make it safer as i doubt they would have enough heat to make wood catch on fire.

Re: BTS rack questions? (newbie here)

Posted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 5:10 pm
by Cherbear
I like using heat tape as opposed to the cable. I did buy the cable once and regret it. Once you have it hooked up to a new thermostat, just make sure the Probe is secure so it won't fall off away from the heat tape.
Frequently check the heat tape for any warping in the future and having a good new thermostat should definitely decrease risk of fire. Replace the heat tape if you notice it starts to change or warp.

Re: BTS rack questions? (newbie here)

Posted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 5:44 pm
by Ray Gurgui
My Vision Racks are the best investment I ever made for my skinks. First they are 5 inches off the ground on casters, they are open on all sides so light can come in from anywhere , just right for my garage. I don't have any lights on the racks at all and never used any UVB ever after 23 years of breeding BTS,(I do use a ton of Repcal w/D3) . Just sunlight that comes in the windows , and 8 - 4 ft. florescent fixtures on the celling to light the room . The racks have built in heat (heat cable ) that's adjustable per shelf, just get a good accurate thermostat . The Vision Racks make my life so much easier , the skinks never looked better, and are less stressed compared to their old glass tanks. With 144 BTS almost all adult , I need to keep them in order, this is how I do it.

I will have a few Northerns by May to July .

A few pics !

004.JPG

005.JPG

006.JPG

007.JPG

008.JPG

009.JPG

010.JPG

Re: BTS rack questions? (newbie here)

Posted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:03 pm
by iamthegame06
thanks for your answers guys!

Ray Gurgui wrote:My Vision Racks are the best investment I ever made for my skinks. First they are 5 inches off the ground on casters, they are open on all sides so light can come in from anywhere , just right for my garage. I don't have any lights on the racks at all and never used any UVB ever after 23 years of breeding BTS,(I do use a ton of Repcal w/D3) . Just sunlight that comes in the windows , and 8 - 4 ft. florescent fixtures on the celling to light the room . The racks have built in heat (heat cable ) that's adjustable per shelf, just get a good accurate thermostat . The Vision Racks make my life so much easier , the skinks never looked better, and are less stressed compared to their old glass tanks. With 144 BTS almost all adult , I need to keep them in order, this is how I do it.

I will have a few Northerns by May to July .

A few pics !


Im sold on the vision racks! i'm definitely getting some of those! I read somewhere though that BTS kept in a rack tend to be more aggressive than the ones kept in terrariums, is that true? whats a good brand you can recommend for thermostats?

are you going to be at the repticon in Costa Mesa,CA on April? i will have my own table at the show and I'm definitely interested in getting a few BTS from you..do you have a website where i can check out your collections and projects?

Re: BTS rack questions? (newbie here)

Posted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:12 pm
by JoshChimera
Nice looking setup Ray.

Re: BTS rack questions? (newbie here)

Posted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:09 pm
by Seadation
Looking good Ray!

Re: BTS rack questions? (newbie here)

Posted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:15 pm
by dsteamn
What size tubs are you using Ray?

Re: BTS rack questions? (newbie here)

Posted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:29 am
by Ray Gurgui
Hi Deb ! I use the V-70 tubs for adults they are 34 X 17.5 X 5.3
and the V-35 and V-35s for grow ups , V-18 for babies

The Boa / Python rack for Blotched (in testing)

Vision Products
http://visionproducts.us/vp12wp/

They have stackable cages too !

Re: BTS rack questions? (newbie here)

Posted: Wed May 20, 2015 10:03 pm
by dsteamn
I've picked up a couple of things. I got a Freedom Breeder 30 tub rack and a 5 high stackable enclosure from Animal Plastics. That gives me a little growing room. Look what you stayed Ray.