Page 1 of 1
How well do BTS climb to a basking spot?
Posted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:17 pm
by macdonaldp
I picked up from a guy on Craigslist a very nice custom melamine enclosure that included a pro heat panel. Dimensions of the enclosure are about 36" long by 20" high by 18" deep. I'm planning to eventually put a BTS in there once I've got it set up properly. The Pro Heat panel is great, but in order to get the animal warm enough s/he will need to be up higher and closer to it. How well do BTS climb? If I put a good-sized corkbark chunk in there (say, 7 or so inches in height), will it be able to get up there okay? Or a staircase of slate?
I'm also planning on using an UTH on the warm side.
Thanks for your help.
Re: How well do BTS climb to a basking spot?
Posted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:30 pm
by MechHAN
BTS can climb very high if they want to,even something like a 85°wall won't stop them if not high enough(as high as their length).
You can put a smaller rock near it,that will make climbing easier.
Re: How well do BTS climb to a basking spot?
Posted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:17 pm
by Susann
Seven inches is not a problem at all for an adult skink but might create a challenge for a small one. Corkbark should be fine as he can use his claws to get traction on it, but if you need to, like MechHAN said, creating "stairs" with different things can be an option.
Re: How well do BTS climb to a basking spot?
Posted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:03 am
by macdonaldp
Great, thanks so much for the replies. Looks like my current set up will work great with some small modifications. Now I just need the animal!

Re: How well do BTS climb to a basking spot?
Posted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:36 am
by Susann
We'd love to see a picture when you have it up and going.

Re: How well do BTS climb to a basking spot?
Posted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:20 pm
by JoshChimera
Susann wrote:We'd love to see a picture when you have it up and going.

I agree, I pictured a slate staircase in my mind. The bts will get close to the heat or basking spot no questions asked. They are very determined!