Page 1 of 1
Question with Mealworms.
Posted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:37 am
by NickBrahz
So i bought some mealwroms today, they are normal size not those giant super ones and im feeding them to my Bluie, im wondering how many of them i should feed him, he is still small and is now going to be fed every second day.
Also if anybody knows some decent suppliers in Ausland that don't cost me an arm and a leg that would be great.
Re: Question with Mealworms.
Posted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:28 am
by starscream3232
I've used mealworms on my northerns. I've only used the canned ones as a treat for them. I would put a few on top of their dog food. I fed mine every day until they were about 3 months old. When they are babies they need a lot of protein. They grow incredible fast! You can see weight being put on if you way them everyday. I couldn't guess how many mealworms you would need for a meal. Personally I would stick to cat or dog food. That's all I feed mine. Once in awhile I'll give them some scrambled eggs and some canned snails as a treat.
Re: Question with Mealworms.
Posted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:27 pm
by aron77
I've been out of the reptile scene for a while now but back when I had bearded dragons I was shipping in crickets and worms by the 1000 because it was so much cheaper. I'm in the US so I can't help you specifically but I'm sure if you do a web search you can find a wholesaler and buy in bulk, that is really the only way to get them cheap. I don't know what they go for in pet stores in Australia but it does get quite expensive buying feeder insects at retail prices. If I remember correctly the super worms were the cheapest to buy and easiest to keep because you can just get like a big plastic bin with a lid and keep 1000 worms in there and you don't even know they are there vs keeping the other ones refrigerated and who wants a giant container of worms in their fridge.
I did a quick search but assumably due to my location all my are coming back in the states but I did find this one
http://www.livefoods.com.au/live-insect ... -mealworms but it only has superworms, crickets and roaches. I know I bought regular meal worms too that was about a quart sized container in my ridge. This is the only way I know to save money on feeders.
Re: Question with Mealworms.
Posted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:55 am
by splashy07
Superworms are much easier on the digestive system, and there are places that sell all different sizes in bulk. Many sell only one size, but I believe Rainbow mealworms sells all size supers, so you get a better quality insect the same size as a mealworm. No refrigeration for these guys though, you've got to keep them warm or at least room temp. I keep my bugs in bottom tubs in my snake rack. Wouldn't mind a container of worms in my fridge though, as my freezer is full of rats......
My BTs all love superworms, and I give them as treats or to entice a picky eater.
Re: Question with Mealworms.
Posted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:19 am
by NickBrahz
splashy07 wrote:Superworms are much easier on the digestive system, and there are places that sell all different sizes in bulk. Many sell only one size, but I believe Rainbow mealworms sells all size supers, so you get a better quality insect the same size as a mealworm. No refrigeration for these guys though, you've got to keep them warm or at least room temp. I keep my bugs in bottom tubs in my snake rack. Wouldn't mind a container of worms in my fridge though, as my freezer is full of rats......
My BTs all love superworms, and I give them as treats or to entice a picky eater.
The person told me to get the mealworms because my bluie is only a few months old and they might be a bit to big for him to properly eat until he is bigger, is that true? if so at what age can i start to feed him superworms as a treat now and then.
Re: Question with Mealworms.
Posted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:23 am
by Snowysmom
When my BTS was a baby I gave her mealworms as afternoon treats, like 2 or 3 every other day and now I just switched to the super worms as she is almost 5 months and give those as treats when I am around more on the weekends. She will eat 3 or 4 a week maybe. For some reason she loves these so much more than mealworms. I can always tell by how fast and how much her pupils dilate and constrict while eating and how much she licks her lips after she eats.

lol
Re: Question with Mealworms.
Posted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:21 am
by splashy07
Yes, they are loved by all! And some companies do sell any size you need. When I was breeding bearded dragons I ordered superworms 1/2 inch long from Rainbow mealworms. They have all sizes.
Re: Question with Mealworms.
Posted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:38 am
by Snowysmom
Wow, had no idea. The ones from Petco are huge. Most being 2 inches long, but she has no problem with them now that she is so big.
Re: Question with Mealworms.
Posted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:05 pm
by splashy07
I buy them in bulk, so I get them from the same place the pet stores do. Their markup is ridiculous. A box of 1000 costs me 22.00. At the reptile expo this weekend they were being sold for 15.00 for a box of 1000!! Think about how much that would cost in the pet store, and they are not cared for properly in most retail stores. Look up companies such as Grubco, Rainbow Mealworms, Armstrongs cricket farms, the list is endless and will sell to the private sector. No need to pay pet store prices for feeders. If you do not have a lot of reptiles perhaps you can share a box with friends. Keep them well fed on the same greens or pellets you feed your reptiles, and you will not believe the difference in their health. A starved bug is about as nutritious as an empty peanut shell.