Outside of not knowing for sure about who the father might be, is there any negative consequences to breeding a female to more than one male during the same breeding season. For example, one of my females normal partners has been inconsistent during mating. He's litterally not staying connected for more than 5 to 10 seconds. Breeding windows are very short for Blotched and I don't want to take a chance of missing it. Since I have other males, I've also tried breeding her to one of them and the copulations have lasted longer. Is there any scientific reasons for sperm from different males to interact in a negative way which could prevent that female from becoming gravid? Sorry to get so graphic in detail.
KL
ANOTHER STUPID QUESTION
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
-
kl
- Bluey Addict

- Posts: 508
- Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2005 5:37 pm
- Country:
- Location: Massachusetts
- Susann
- ADMIN

- Posts: 4022
- Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:06 pm
- Country: USA
- Location: Utah
Re: ANOTHER STUPID QUESTION
I can't see that it could have a negative effect.... In the wild most species of BTS females (except maybe stumpies) would probably be more likely to actually mate with more than one male.
My first time producing young I mated two males to the same female ...we're talking Meraukes, but still...

My first time producing young I mated two males to the same female ...we're talking Meraukes, but still...

Breeder and keeper of Meraukes from 2010 to 2022.
- Scotts1au
- Great Scott

- Posts: 4362
- Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:19 am
- Country:
- Location: Central Victoria, Australia
Re: ANOTHER STUPID QUESTION
Personally I don't know. However this article discusses it a bit, although I don't know about their sample size. http://eprints.utas.edu.au/662/
I can't say that I've had the same observations eg. aggression once mated, so I'd take the article with a proverbial grain of salt.
Hurt anything? probably not, although with the size difference between some of the girls and males, it might pay to keep any eye out for potential damage to the male.
I can't say that I've had the same observations eg. aggression once mated, so I'd take the article with a proverbial grain of salt.
Hurt anything? probably not, although with the size difference between some of the girls and males, it might pay to keep any eye out for potential damage to the male.
If you wait, all that happens is that you get older. M. Andretti
- Richard.C
- Kimberley Klan

- Posts: 10474
- Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:37 am
- Country:
- Location: melbourne australia
Re: ANOTHER STUPID QUESTION
ive never seen negative impact from multi males covering a single female,i dare say it would happen in nature to,when i breed northerns,ive had to use a different male than previous seasons as like your seeing the usual one doesnt seem to be on the ball,perhaps breeding window being out of wack
but yeah with the blotchies its not uncommon for them in group situations to have different males having a crack at specific females
but yeah with the blotchies its not uncommon for them in group situations to have different males having a crack at specific females
Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 201 guests
