Page 1 of 1

Which specieis did you choose and why?

Posted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:22 pm
by aron77
I'm probably going to end up with a northern for their size, availability and ease of care/breeding but I'm looking at all the different species now. I wish I had a resources that had them all broken down by common name and scientific name that included pictures and descriptions. My searches are yielding the most random and sometimes contradictory information.

Re: Which specieis did you choose and why?

Posted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:43 pm
by Dood
You cannot get more concise than this site http://bluetongueskinks.net/new1.htm

Re: Which specieis did you choose and why?

Posted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:57 pm
by NickBrahz
I own a little eastern and there is a few reasons why i have him, 1. he is the cheapest ones out there, $20-40. 2. In my region this is where they strive, so easier to look after when i don't have to simulate a different environment. 3. he is a little cutie and 4. The only other skink i have had was also a Eastern that i rescued and nursed back to health.

Re: Which specieis did you choose and why?

Posted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 7:20 am
by starscream3232
Easterns are around $700 here in the states. But a few breeders are working with them now so hopefully we'll see more. I prefer northerns because they are 100% captive bred here. I had and IJ for 15 years that was imported so I can't knock wild caught if they are treated and in good health. Just be really selective when you do get one. Just don't jump on the first one you find. Ask as many questions as you want until you know you want that skink. Good luck when you do get one.

Re: Which specieis did you choose and why?

Posted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 8:17 am
by Ophidiophile
aron77 wrote:Which species did you choose

The species, subspecies, and forms I chose are Northerns, Easterns, Blotched, Meraukes, "Classic" Indos, "Halmahera" Indos, Tanimbars, Irian Jayas, and Kei Islands.

aron77 wrote:and why?

Most would say because David has a severe disorder.

Re: Which specieis did you choose and why?

Posted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 11:28 am
by Susann
Ophidiophile wrote:Most would say because David has a severe disorder.
I have come to believe this is indeed the case; David has to have EVERYTHING! :wink:

Re: Which specieis did you choose and why?

Posted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 12:18 pm
by Dakota
Irian Jaya, Merauke, and Halmahera

I like Indonesian reptiles and I think they are beautiful.

Re: Which specieis did you choose and why?

Posted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 1:27 pm
by Cherbear
I have northerns and I started with them simply by chance. I had the choice of a merauke and a northern at a show and just gravitated towards her.. And now I love them! Absolutely stunning animals with great personalities.

An eastern would have been my first choice, but they are not easy to find and are far from cheap. I do have full intent on finding and purchasing some this upcoming season. So fingers crossed!

Re: Which specieis did you choose and why?

Posted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 2:17 pm
by rico
My first choice is a northern. I like their looks and I prefer the slightly larger size. However, all I've ever seen here are Irian Jaya, so that's probably what I'll get. They'd be my next choice anyway. I'm hoping to find a northern at an expo when the time comes.

Re: Which specieis did you choose and why?

Posted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 4:34 pm
by Noah H.
I went with a northern for their colors (I love the different shades of orange) and because they have lower humidity requirements than the Indonesian species, so I can just use aspen for substrate.

Re: Which specieis did you choose and why?

Posted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 8:49 pm
by JoshChimera
I chose a Tanimbar because a great article in Reptiles Magazine written by James Wilson. Then I found Ray Gurgui in 2009, I really had a great experience with Ray and the Tanimbar he sent me.

Re: Which specieis did you choose and why?

Posted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 4:52 pm
by Seadation
I chose Northerns at first and then was lucky enough to acquire a group of Easterns. I always wanted a blue tongue skink when I was younger, before the days of the internet. Because of how rare they were I was never able to purchase one so I opted for bearded dragons at the time. I love the Australian skinks due to their beauty, rarity, and the fact that they are no longer being imported into the US making all of them here captive born and bred. I chose to breed my skinks because I want others to be able to have such magnificent animals as pets and potentially breed them in the future as we'll, keeping them available here in the US long term for our kids and grandchildren to one day enjoy. :thumbs:

Re: Which specieis did you choose and why?

Posted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:20 am
by splashy07
Ditto, Dakota. Preference to Indos because they are beautiful. My Merauke and my Halmaheras are so beautifully colored it is hard to stop looking at them. Happened to have a Northern fall into my collection last year, and had no idea what I was missing all this time. Absolutely wonderful pet, but I am not slighting the Indos in any way. They are all just as sweet, but as far as personality and social behavior, the Northern's got it. Merauke is a close second, my Halys are a bit secretive but love to come out and play, but do not display themselves much otherwise. Would love an Eastern or a Shingleback, but that is just a fantasy here in New York.