Page 1 of 1

Which is better to breed: Jayas or Indonesians?

Posted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:28 am
by PipoTechyon
Okay, so... I have two SUPPOSEDLY sexed indonesian blue tongue skinks, living together, and getting along fine. They have some toe problems, but other than that nothing too severe.

I have one GORGEOUS Irian Jaya with a slight kink at the end of her tail. other then that she's beautiful. Now, I know the kink decreases the value but is it genetic? So will Mahogany pass it down to Her/his babies?

More importantly, say I were to find another IJ... which would be better to breed? Two IJs or two Indonesians? I LOVE Irian Jayas and so far I don't know why but I'm not as excited about the idea of breeding these indonesians. Are they usually more aggressive than the IJs? Are the IJs harder or easier to breed? Are they equally as difficult to breed? Thing is I have NO IDEA what gender my IJ is.

I guess my question to you guys is... what would be better for a beginning breeder- and IJ pair or an Indonesian pair?

Here are some pictures, for those of you that haven't already seen them through my other threads. And NO I AM NOT THINKING ABOUT CROSSING, to make that clear.
DSC00143.JPG

DSC00144.JPG

my_new_skink_by_pipotechyon-d72vyqb.png

Re: Which is better to breed: Jayas or Indonesians?

Posted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:14 am
by splashy07
I would say it's a matter of personal choice. Or whatever you find you happen to have a pair of.
IJ's are an Indonesian species also, and I have never experienced personality differences between the two, although others may disagree. Best of luck, whatever you decide. My personal opinion, if it matters, the IJs are a bit more attractive and may be more popular with buyers. But then again, everybody likes what they like.

Re: Which is better to breed: Jayas or Indonesians?

Posted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:41 am
by Susann
There is, to my knowledge, not anybody right now consistently breeding Indonesians in captivity in the US. If that makes it attractive to you then by all means go for trying to unlock the secret to producing them. The two you have are gorgeous classic examples of Indos and if you were to produce offspring I'm not thinking you'd have a hard time getting rid of them .
IJ's have been produced more here and don't seem to be nearly as hard to breed, so if that's attractive to you then go for that.
In either case it all comes down to your likes and preferences.
I would also personally advice against housing any skinks together; put them together to mate but house them separately.

Re: Which is better to breed: Jayas or Indonesians?

Posted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:30 pm
by Richard.C
The kink in end of ijs tail isnt a genetic issue ao wouldnt be passed on to offspring if it was to breed

Ijs probably are a calmer species,but both are very worthy of being bred,cbb babies are alot better option for folk then relying on wildcaught stock ,as susann said,indos arent being genuinly bred very often,so always good for folk to try,ijs on the other hand are being bred more consistantly but still not i huge amounts,but might be a better option for beggining with if breeding is on the agenda

Dont look at them being aggressive,especially the indos,its more they are just timid,especiallu being of wild caught origin,i time they should settle

Now one thing id like to mention for breeding,especially for begginners,dont concentrate all efforts on breeding them,by that i mean concentrate on havi g them set up right and doing very well,female especially will need to be in pretty good condition,if they are set up right and u have husbandry all worked out,breeding is often made alot easier

Re: Which is better to breed: Jayas or Indonesians?

Posted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:48 pm
by starscream3232
I think both would be a great choice. I think people would be willing to pay more for cb than wild caught or farmed. I know Indos have barely been bred in the US but it can't hurt to try. Getting indo blue tongues breeding seems like a fun project overall. Good luck!!