Page 1 of 1

Substrate Question

Posted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:00 pm
by NickBrahz
Just got a quick question about substrate, i know sand is a no no and i usually use Kritters Crumble which is made from coconut husk, now with wood shavings for a Australian Eastern is there any type of wood that is a no? they have some markets down near mine every Wednesday where they sell them cheap as $3 a kilo, i think it is pine wood shavings but im not sure, i would like to mix the Kritters Crumble with the wood shavings so the crumble lasks longer seeing its more expensive.

Re: Substrate Question

Posted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:36 am
by splashy07
I would not use anything pine. Is there aspen available there? I do not know the humidity requirements of the Easterns, but if similar to Northerns I'd use aspen.

Re: Substrate Question

Posted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:44 am
by NickBrahz
Humidity for Easterns is 25-40% i think, but the shavings would be mixed in with the coconut husk substrate.

Re: Substrate Question

Posted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:55 am
by Seth_I.
I use the Kritters Crumble for my Northerns and just keep it dry aside from their hides during shed periods.

Re: Substrate Question

Posted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:14 pm
by starscream3232
I use aspen shavings for my northerns. They have a humid hide box. I've never had shed problems with them with this set up.