Page 1 of 1

Skinky update

Posted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:44 pm
by Margeryblue
Found the first poo in her food dish last night :) and another when I came home from work today. I went to the vet last night to have the parasite check on it. Still waiting to hear back from the vet.

So far it's going well. She's eating but it never see her outside the hidey hole I have for her. When I lift it up to check on her she shrinks away from me. Once she's out of the tank she's fine - no huffing of anything. Even in the tank she doesn't huff she's more just skittish. I'm hoping this gets better soon :/ I've had her for about a week now.

Finally managed to weigh and measure the bugger. She would only stay still if I held her which was adorable. She's just about a foot long and weighs 69 grams. Does anyone have an idea how old she could be?

I'm also wondering about the humidity. What's a good range for them? It's sitting at 35 right now. Should I start misting her tank? I use reptibark for substrate and there's a water dish in her tank.

Re: Skinky update

Posted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:00 pm
by Dood
I have a CBB IJ x Northern and she was 67grams at 10 weeks old (Sept 2013) and gained 20 to 30 grams a week until 8 months old (March 2014) and then slowed down to 10g to 15g a week until 12 months old (July 2014) and then 15g to 30g a month until November 2014 and she hasn't gained, or lost, any weight since then due to brumation and currently she is slightly over weight at 693 grams and 18 months old (Jan 2015) :)

Re: Skinky update

Posted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:35 pm
by Margeryblue
Wow that's super helpful! Thanks for that information :) she's a bit younger than I thought then.

I'm wondering if her skittishness is due to brumating but she's absolutely fine when she's out. Probably just getting used to the new diggs!

Re: Skinky update

Posted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:20 pm
by Dood
I should note my skink was captive bred and born and in reptiles diet and stress can significantly effect growth rate so your skink could be much older but a bit stunted :noknow:

Re: Skinky update

Posted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:46 pm
by Margeryblue
That is a valid point. I hadn't thought of that. I hope she reaches full size but I love her all the same. She's a good eater and friendly that's all I can ask for at this point :) plus she's a cutie patootie that certainly helps!

Re: Skinky update

Posted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:56 pm
by Fbailey
Geez! If yours is that young, mine must be very young! Mine is only 6" in length! Half the size of yours! By the way, I read that BTS don't go through brumation until they are a year old? Is that not correct? The more I read about them and look at the veggies they ate, brumation, calcium, etc, they seem very similar to Beardie care in SOME aspects. Keep us posted on results of parasite. Mine has not gone poo yet or is eating all that well but very small and still getting comfortable with his surroundings!

Re: Skinky update

Posted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:03 pm
by Dakota
Meraukes aren't as heavy-bodied as Irian Jayas, nor Northerns. So comparing their weights to identify age would not give you a very accurate assumption. I never weighed my Meraukes when they were young, but they were 4 months old when they reached 12". They were fed everyday since the day they were born.

Re: Skinky update

Posted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:52 pm
by Susann
Yours looks very similar to the Meraukes I had born this past summer. I would bet it's somewhere around 6 mos. give or take a few mos.