Essential oils/ harmful to skinks?

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
murmur
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2015 2:52 pm
Country:
Location: North America

Essential oils/ harmful to skinks?

Postby murmur » Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:49 pm

Hello! I have a pretty odd/ kinda silly question to ask... It's kinda embarrassing really..
Do any of you know if essential oils could potentially harm a pet skink? In my bedroom (where I would like my future pet to be) I have a HUGE spider problem, and read that a successful spider repellent to use can be various essential oils such as: peppermint oil, lavender oil, cinnamon oil, citrus oil, you get the jist! I end up spraying a bunch of diluted lavender oil everywhere in my room, and tend to do it often. I also spray vinegar occasionally as well. If a skink were to walk on the floors where it was sprayed, will he/she be harmed in any way? I read it's dangerous, even toxic, for creatures like small birds, so it made me worry if it would be bad for other animals like reptiles as well. I also burn candles/ incense, spray perfume (can you tell I'm obsessed with scented stuff?!?!) and I wonder of these kinds of things could be bad for them... So basically, I just want to know if I need to stop doing these things when I buy a skink. This will be my first reptile, and I DON'T want to mess ANYTHING up and give the animal the best quality of life possible, so I'm over thinking everything!!
Any input would be greatly appreciated, I apologize for the weird question. :)
:dork:
Dood
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower
Posts: 434
Joined: Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:29 am
Country:
Location: Ontario Canada

Re: Essential oils/ harmful to skinks?

Postby Dood » Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:47 am

Birds have a very fast metabolism and respiratory rate so they are extra sensitive to airborne contaminants and would not do well in your room :)

Lizards on the other hand have a slow metabolism so your scents shouldn't kill them but I would try to avoid direct contact as the chemicals can burn mucus membranes like their eyes mouth and sinuses if the mist is inhaled

You should also watch your skinks reaction - if he runs and hides after you've sprayed your room or light a scented candle then he is in discomfort and you should stop using the products.

Have you tried applying the repellents just around the entry points for the insects rather than the entire room?
murmur
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2015 2:52 pm
Country:
Location: North America

Re: Essential oils/ harmful to skinks?

Postby murmur » Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:42 pm

Thanks a bunch for your answer! And yes haha I can definitely ease off on spraying so much repellent everywhere and stick to certain places. :lol: I admit I tend to go overboard, due to my silly fear of creepy crawlies

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 272 guests